Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
engine15

Advice on HVAC System Quotes

engine15
11 years ago

Hello, we live in a 1650 sq. ft. house in New Jersey. My HVAC system is about 25 years old, so I am looking to replace it and take advantage of some of the state rebates. I received a few quotes, and narrowed it down to these two:

Quote 1 - Luxaire System:

Furnace: TG9S080B12MP11, 95.5%, 80,000BTU

A/C: TCJD36S41S1 3 Ton, 13 SEER

Coil: (waiting to hear back from contractor)

Quote 2 - Arcoaire System:

Furnace: F9MXE080F12 95% 80,000 BTU

A/C:N4A336GKC 3 Ton, 13 SEER

Coil: END4X036C

Quote 3 - Ruud System:

Furnace: RGTC07ERBGS 95% 75,000 BTU

A/C: 13AJM36A01 3 Ton, 13 SEER

Coil: RCFLHM3621AC

How do these two systems compare? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Comments (16)

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

Engine

On quote #1 and #2, I suspect you being oversized on furnace.

Don't care for the furnace or AC selection on the Rudd quote. Rudd is good HVAC though depending on mdls quoted.

What about thermostat?

What about air filter cabinet?

What size furnace and AC are you replacing?

Post back.

IMO

• engine15
    Original Author
    11 years ago

tigerdunes:

The only contractor that included a thermostat was the third one, a Honeywell 4000. I was hoping to continue using my Honeywell RTH7600D thermostat that I currently have.

No mention of a air filter cabinet in any quote. I am replacing a 100K BTU Comfortmaker from 1986 with a 3 ton A/C.

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

Engine, you need a load calculation for correct sizing both heating and cooling.

I would want a two stg var speed furnace correctly sized with a good 13-15 SEER AC condenser.

That's your starting point.

IMO

• mike_home
    11 years ago

Some of the rebates programs in NJ like the Cool Advantage require a Manual J and S calculation. The contractor needs to submit the calcualtion as part of the application.

Where in NJ are you located?

• neohioheatpump
    11 years ago

What are the prices for these various systems?

You definitely want 2-stage furnaces if your going with those size furnaces.

• engine15
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mike,

I am located in Toms River.

The prices of the systems are:
    Option 1 - $7100
    Option 2 - $5900
    Option 3 - $7200

• mike_home
    11 years ago

I am in central NJ. I was going to suggest the Carrier dealer I used, but you are beyond his sevice area.

I am not familiar with the equipment you listed. Luxaire and Arcoaire gives me the impression they budget models. I think you can get better equipment close to these price ranges after the factory and utility rebates are applied.

• engine15
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Mike. Do you know of any good contractors that service my area?

Also, the prices listed are before the rebates of $1200 or $1300 depending on the unit.

• mike_home
    11 years ago

I don't know anybody in Toms River. Try the method I used to find my contractor. Go to the Carrier/Bryant, Trane/American Standard, Rheem/Rudd web sites and search for factory authorized dealers in your area. Pick 3-4 and start interviewing them. If you have seen there are several in one brand, then concentrate on that one brand so you can make a good apple to apple comparison on the equipment they suggest. I would stay away from the big outfits and stick with the smaller family run businesses.

• engine15
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I received another quote on a Trane system. How does this compare?

Furnace: TDH1B080A9361A, 95%, 80,000BTU
    A/C: 4TTR5036E1000A 3 Ton, 15 SEER with matching coil.

I would prefer to have the two-stage furnace, but the price difference is too high. Would this system be good without the two stage furnace?

• neohioheatpump
    11 years ago

How does the price of this system compare with the price from the quotes in your original post? I didn't see anything wrong with the equipment from the original post. The arco aire quote was the best value. That equipment is re-badged comfortmaker which isn't bad equipment. For the $5900 for the ARCOAIRE quote they should be able to do the 15 seer A/C.

• engine15
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The price for the Trane system is $7,000.

• neohioheatpump
    11 years ago

This is good equipment. I'm surprised you couldn't get a 2-stage 95% gas furnace and a 15seer 3-ton A/C for 7grand. Might not be trane brand though.

• engine15
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the advice. I tried to get an American Standard quote, but all the dealers in my area were either overpriced or would only quote it with the energy star program that includes a water heater and insulation.

After adding the extended warranty, the Trane comes out to approximately $2000 more than a similar York system. Would you recommend that I go with the Trane?

• neohioheatpump
    11 years ago

So your saying you can get a York system with 95% furnace and 15 seer A/C for $5000? I would prefer this over a similar trane system for $7,000. York makes good stuff.

• engine15
    Original Author
    11 years ago

After the warranty is added, the Trane system goes up to $7600. The york system, a single stage 95% with a 13 seer A/C would be $5600. This includes a 10 year parts and labor warranty.