Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HVAC upgrade cost

Posted by mpatel1080 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 18:22

We are looking at building a new home which is 3500 square feet. The included HVAC system has separate Gas Furnace/AC unit for the first and second floors. The first floor is approximately 2000 sq feet and the second 1500. They haven't given me the specs of the equipment but I know it is 92% and 12 SEER. I am assuming the furnaces will be 80,000 and 100000 BTU and the AC units will be 2 and 2.5 tons.

I asked for the price to upgrade to Fully modulating furnaces and dual stage compressors on the AC units. The price they gave me is $11,200.

It is very hard to know how much this stuff is worth because there is very little price transparency Does this seem reasonable or is way too high?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HVAC upgrade cost

What is location?

You certainly don't need 180 KBTUs for a 3500 sq ft home assuming you have both quality building construction along with insulation properties.

GCs always take advantage of their customers in HVAC.

Request a load calculation in writing broken out for each zone.

IMO

o

I don't know what BTU/tonnage they are using....I was just making an assumption based on my current home (which is probably oversized.

The main thing i want to know if the up charge for the modulating furnace and variable speed compressors is too high.

o

If you want an informed opinion about the up charge cost, then you need to provide specifics on the base equipment in your contract.

And for second time, what is your location?

IMO

o

Sorry...I am located in southern NY

o

Do your own load-calc on each floor.

Here is a link that might be useful: Free online load-calc

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here