Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Underground Oil Tank not disclosed

Posted by tkstock (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 18:19

So, we purchased our house in 2002. At the time, it was heated with an oil furnace (which is now converted to natural gas).

At the time, we specifically asked about the existence of an underground oil tank and was told there wasn't one.

Well, I found one today - and could even smell the oil that apparently still sits in it.

Do I have any recourse after 12 years?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Underground Oil Tank not disclosed

Did the previous owner know of that tank's existence? Or maybe equally important, will you be able to prove it?

o

This is a good question for a attorney. I would first speak to a real estate lawyer. I also recommend speaking with an environmental law attorney.

o

My daughter is with me. She is a hard working realtor. She says, State by state and Statute of Limitation. Very common and figures that by the time you sue for it, and the cost to do it, just get it done. Also, check the disclosures on your agreement prior to going forward. If it is listed and you are sufficiently aggravate and motivated then sure you can chase anybody. Balance the cost and aggravation first though!

o

Doh. Like I said, "Did the previous owner know of that tank's existence? Or maybe equally important, will you be able to prove it?"

o

Underground oil storage tanks are an serious environmental issue. The owner who decommissioned this tank may still be responsible for the removal and clean up of any soil contamination. Removing a tank costs hundreds of dollars. Removing contaminated soil costs thousands of dollars.

You really need to get advice from an expert in your state.

o

Absolutely get an environmental attorney. We decommissioned a tank that had leaked into the groundwater. The removal & cleanup took 7 years and $350K!!!! Some states offer grants to help homeowners with the cost. Also check your homeowners insurance policy and the previous owner's insurance. Some have riders that cover this cost. In our case, forensic engineering was done to determine the year in which the tank developed the leak. That date determined who was liable for the cleanup.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here