Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bsyptak

sounds reasonable but still a few questions

bsyptak
12 years ago

Hello,

I've got 28 year old Rheem furnace/ac and while they continue to work fine, it's probably time to swap them out. I got a quote for American Standard and I'd like feedback on the quote:

furnace options:

95% single stage 100k $3312 installed.

95% 2 stage variable 100k $4751 installed.

Both above include 3" pvc to porch.

ac:

13 SEER 3 ton, new coil, condenser & pad. Reuse, flush & vacuum lineset $2600 installed.

I've asked for actual model numbers as I have since realized that a) they didn't originally provide them and b) it could be silver/gold/platinum models. Guessing lowest models though.

He recommended not going above 13 SEER for the AC since we only use it maybe 3 months a year. Also thinks the lineset is OK to reuse but would replace if I want to pay; would like feedback on that as well.

I did get another quote for Rheem or Amana but the numbers were about $11k which seems ridiculous to me as there's probably only about $5k (guess) of actual parts.

Thanks.

Comments (7)

• bpchiil
    12 years ago

bysyptak -

I would opt for the 2 stage - I did, and DO NOT regret it one bit. In terms of overall comfort it wins hands down, and very much worth the extra money.

In terms of the line set - no need to replace it, as long as it is flushed properly. If it is easily accessible, you can certainly replace it - your call and your money :)

Good luck!

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

Bsyp

I would not even make a comment without knowing all model numbers.

What is your location?

What size furnace and it's efficiency along with size of AC condenser are you replacing?

Refrigerant linesets should only be reused and flushed according to procedure as long as condition and correct size has been verified. If not correct size, then it should be replaced. This is no place to take a badly advised shortcut.

Post back with info and I will try to help you.

IMO

• bsyptak
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Will post back as soon as I get model numbers.

• handy-man
    12 years ago

bsyptak,

American Standard is a good brand. As far as refrigerant line, if it can be changed, do it. New 410A refrigerant has higher pressure and totally different oil in it. Even if the installer flushed it right, you still have some junk left in there. That is if he does it right, which is something I rarely see. $2600 for a new condenser and evap coil? DAMN!. That's cheap. Especially for American Standard. Variable speed are efficient and quiet, but since you are getting a 13 Seer A/C I would go with multi speed unless noise is an issue for you. Why not go with 95% Variable speed and 16 seer to make it a combo? Before you decide the options, did you check the contractor's license? Is he going to pull permit? Does he has insurance (in case if he damages your property) and worker's compensation (so that you are not liable for injuries) for his workers? If he has all of these, then go for it!
    Good luck!

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

Bsyp

I can not emphasize enough that linesets must be sized correctly to manufacturer specs for any new outside condenser whether the lineset is new or existing flushed. This is not a detail to disregard.

What is your location?

What size furnace and it's efficiency along with size of AC condenser are you replacing?

Refrigerant linesets should only be reused and flushed according to procedure as long as condition and correct size has been verified. If not correct size, then it should be replaced. This is no place to take a badly advised shortcut.

IMO

• bsyptak
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The 95% single stage furnace is model AUH1. They refer to it as the Silver ZI series.
    The 95% two stage and variable furnace is model AUH2. They refer to it as the Gold ZM series.
    The 13 SEER Allegiance air conditioner is model 4A7A3. They refer to it as the Gold SI series.

The 16 seer AC is another 3k+ and has to be coupled with the AUH2. Definitely doesn't seem like it's worth it to go up to 16 though the energy efficiency person in me would like it. Just not for that much money for something that is usually off.

I believe my current furnace is Rheem vintage 1983 120k 80% and the AC unit is the same, 3 ton. I live in Colorado. I think the lineset is 3/4 & 3/8.

Thanks,

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

Bsyp

You need a load calc on heating performed. It is difficult for me to believe you need a 95% eff 100 KBTU furnace and I do prefer the two stg var speed model. I see nothing wrong with the basic 13 SEER AC condenser. If not this condenser, then look at the Allegiance 15 mdl.

Lineset size should be verified if you intend to reuse. Size of what you
    have and mfg recommendation for new condenser.

I would want a pleated filter media cabinet and a true two stg thermostat for the two stg furnace.

Post back mdl number of evap coil. Makes a difference.

IMO

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm