Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
concernedinaz

Think before buying a Trane

concernedinaz
12 years ago

Bought Trane air conditioner XL16i in December 2010 and purchased an extended warranty. 15 months later the coil is leaking and needs to be replaced before we can operate it. They say it will take 2 weeks before they can get us a new coil. We live in AZ and the temperature has already hit 100 this year and we are expected to endure the heat for 2 weeks. They can not come up with any other solutions even with the extended warranty. I think they should replace the whole unit since it has only worked thru 1 summer.

Have other people had similar experience with Trane? Or am I the only one that was duped?

Comments (8)

• bpchiil
    12 years ago

AZ - it's not so much about thinking before buying a Trane - it's more of thinking how readily replacement parts are before purchasing any unit.

Trane is a good unit- unfortunately, parts are not that accessible where you live.

Good luck!

• User
    12 years ago

The OP registered here today. Presumably for the purpose of "trashing" Trane. lol

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

Inaz

Don't know about being duped.

Generally, I have found that Trane and their area distributors do an excellent job in supporting their products including parts.

This is the evap coil that needs replacing? If so, what mdl-please be specific?

I naturally would be just as concerned about a failure too after just one cooling season. I assume since you live in Arizona that your cooling season is usually very long.

It's been my experience that if the stocking distributor did not have the part and it was out of stock at the factory, then Trane would provide a new evap coil or go through hoops to locate what you need through their supply chain. However, sometimes through no fault of their own delays can occur. Have you asked that a window unit be provided on their dime until repair/replacement s made? Seems like a reasonable request to me.

Post back with more details/specifics.

IMO

• mike_home
    12 years ago

A coil is an off the shelf item. It should be readily available. Is the delay due to the avialbility of the coil, is it because the repair must go through the warranty procedure?

• heatseeker
    12 years ago

Sounds to me like AN INCOMPETENT CONTRACTOR OR WE ARE JUST GETTING ONE SIDE OF THE STORY. I can go to any supplier and get any warrantied part usually the same day. For a AM or Trane coil going bad after on yr sounds like a BS job I would call another Trane dealer and get a second opinion. You are not tied to the original contractor by any means.

• jakethewonderdog
    12 years ago

I've said it before, I'll say it again...
    With computerized inventories, it takes little time to locate a part. With Fedx, you should be able to get any part to anywhere in the globe overnight.

Two days should be max on anything.

• handy-man
    12 years ago

LOL,

Leaky Coil on Trane? does it happen? Yes, but rarely. I have to agree, we are not hearing the whole story, not to say that the op is lying, but sometimes, well most of the times it is the contractor's fault. I guest the contractor just doesn't want to pay up front. He just want Trane to replace a new evap coil without any money up front.

• heatseeker
    12 years ago

I stopped a trane yesterday with a leaky aluminum coil. When I got done it looked like it had been hit by a train.