Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smounts

New system, good deal?

smounts
12 years ago

Hi all, we bought this house 5 years ago and after many problems (and cold North East winter nights) we are finally replacing the 32 year old electric heat pump system! The current system is a York, 6 SEER, 2.5 ton system, in a 2200 sq ft home. We are converting to a gas forced air furnace/AC system. We had five different contractors come and give us quotes with prices ranging from $7500-$12,000. Below is the system I think I am going to choose, but wanted to get some opinions on it before I pull the trigger. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Sam

Trane TUH2B060A9V3 XV95 furnace

Trane 4TTX5030A1000A XLI5 AC

ACE36D44175L015 EVAP COIL

Trane Cont602AF22MA thermostat

Honeywell HE265 Humidifier

New copper line set

new pad under AC

new outside disconnect box

Gas line to heater (gas already run into house for HW heater, so they are connecting from that line)

All venting to outside for heater

All necessary Permit costs

10 year warranty on parts & labor

$8750.00

Comments (12)

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

smounts

where in NE?

certainly not cheap price.

three things give me pause.

1.was a load calc performed both heating and especially cooling?

2.I do not like and don't recommend a third party coil. Insist on a Trane coil.

3.That's the wrong stat. Ask for Trane's mdl 803 or identical HW 8321 mdl.

IMO

• neohioheatpump
    12 years ago

what is your electric rate? Were you getting a discount electric since you had a heatpump?
    It might make sense to upgrade the A/C to a heatpump. You could use this when temps are mild. At the very least it would give you some flexibility if natural gas got expensive.

I wonder what all the people heating with oil are doing now that oil got crazy expensive again. It could happen with gas in the future too. I think anybody getting a new A/C should spend a little extra an upgrade to a heatpump.

Wow- that was one old and in-efficient heatpump. I hope you didn't spend much repairing it. That should have been scrapped years ago.

• smounts
    Original Author
    12 years ago

neohioheatpump: No discount for electric heat pump, according to bill avg cost of the electric (supply) is .122792 per kWh. Of course PSEG adds about 50% on top of that for "distribution charge". Over the last 5 years we probably spent about $800 on repairs, but took it in the shorts on Electric Bills.

Tigerdunes: None of the contractors ever said anything about a whole house air filter cabinet, I don't even know what that is :)

They inspected ductwork, nothing significant was reported. I had inquired about getting the ducts cleaned but thy said they are "insulated" ducts and if we try to clean they will tear and make a huge mess.

Not sure what you mean about hot/cold spots. The upstairs is always warmer than the downstairs in summer and cooler upstairs in winter.

The most expensive quote also wanted to blow insulation in attics and do an "air leak test".

• smounts
    Original Author
    12 years ago

New Jersey, about 18 miles East of Philly.

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

I thought so.
    what about a whole house air filter cabinet? you need one.

has dealer thoroughly inspected your ductwork system?

any hot/cold spots in home?

IMO

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

smounts

you need an air filter cabinet.

HPs are not for everyone or every application. I suspect this homeowner was undersized and probably had large winter heating bills.

of course, a 32 yr old system can not be compared to today's high eff models.

whether a dual fuel system would be worth it depends on gas and electric rates.

I doubt this homeowner would be interested.

IMO

• smounts
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I figure I would also throw up the other system I was considering; I really don't know if I should go with the Trane system above or this Rheem system and save the ~$650?

RHEEM RGRM06EMAES (heat)
    RHEEM 14AJM030A01 (AC)
    RHEEM RCQD3621 (Coil)
    New Thermostat (didn't see model # in quote)
    New copper line set
    new pad under AC
    new outside disconnect box
    Gas line to heater (gas already run into house for HW heater, so they are connecting from that line)
    All venting to outside for heater
    All necessary Permit costs
    10 year warranty on parts & 2 yr onlabor
    $7800.00
    Missing is Humidifier which would be another ~$300 (Not sure I asked him to quote one initially) And the warranty on labor is only 2 years as opposed to 10 on the Trane quote.
    Thought, opinions, suggestions?

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

Smounts

While Rheem makes very good HVAC, the Trane equipment is nicer especially the AC condenser.

Go back and look at my concerns.

Sizing both heating and AC

No Third party coil-insist on best matching Trane coil

Insist on true two stgthermostat like Trane's 803 or identical HW mdl 8321

Finally add a good whole house 4-5" pleated filter media cabinet for indoor air quality along with protection of evap coil and var speed blower-perhaps a Honeywell cabinet.

IMO

• smounts
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks tigerdunes!

• seatonheating
    12 years ago

You are comparing the wrong things.

Don't compare the systems, compare the contractors. Look up ACCA quality hvac installation checklist and then ask each contractor about it. The responses you get will help you make the most informed decision. Brand means very little.

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

yes the install by a competent dealer is important. As is quality HVAC, properly matched components, and of course correctly sized. And probably the most overlooked area is a good ductwork system.

IMO

• seatonheating
    12 years ago

Ductwork should be looked at first.