Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ct96

AC Replacement/Upgrade

CT96
10 years ago

Hi,

I am upgrading both upstairs and downstairs AC/Heat units in my house. Old units are both Train and are 17 years old and cost of repair vs. replacement seems to point towards replacement. Contractor recommended the following:

Upstairs (AC + Gas heater)
- XR15 with XV80 furnace

Downstairs (gas pack)
- XB/XL13c

This is our primary residence and we are in NC (gets hot and humid in the summer). Do we have the right system here or do you recommend something else?

Thanks!

CT

Comments (12)

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

I assume you have a gaspak for downstairs system now.

I would recommend the XL14c gaspak or even the XL14c in the hybrid DF model.

IMO

• CT96
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What is the benefit of XL14c over XL13c?

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Has var speed blower which helps in AC mode for dehumidification. Motor is very quiet and cost effective reaching higher SEER.

You should be aware the XV80 furnace dealer quoted for upstairs has same var speed blower.

IMO

• CT96
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have a quote for $11,200 for Train units Xr15 + XV80 furnace upstairs and XB13c unit downstairs. Is this a reasonable price?

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Post all model numbers including evap coil for upstairs system.

New linesets or old to correct size and to be flushed?

Any air filter cabinets?

What model thermostat?

Just so you know you are placing a nice system upstairs compared to the XL13c.

Post back.

IMO

• CT96
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tigerdunes,

Thank you for your reply. Please see the requested info below:

Thermostat (2): TCONT803A532DA
    XR15: 4TTR5036 (Coil will be 4TXCC or 4TCB)
    XL13c or XB13 recommended by contract based on size of floor plan and cost. Stated that XL14 would be $800 more, but didn't think we needed it.
    No air-filter cabinet (we have air filters in the 5 air-returns throughout the house right now).
    Includes old lines (flushed and sized)

Total cost came in at $11,200 and includes an extra air return for the upstairs bonus room (right now it doesn't have one and we have hear/cold issues based on season). Cost estimates also includes moving the outside unit over to the gaspack unit. Basically we are moving it away from backyard patio.

• CT96
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tigerdunes,

Thank you for your reply. Please see the requested info below:

Thermostat (2): TCONT803A532DA
    XR15: 4TTR5036 (Coil will be 4TXCC or 4TCB)
    XL13c or XB13 recommended by contract based on size of floor plan and cost. Stated that XL14 would be $800 more, but didn't think we needed it.
    No air-filter cabinet (we have air filters in the 5 air-returns throughout the house right now).
    Includes old lines (flushed and sized)

Total cost came in at $11,200 and includes an extra air return for the upstairs bonus room (right now it doesn't have one and we have hear/cold issues based on season). Cost estimates also includes moving the outside unit over to the gaspack unit. Basically we are moving it away from backyard patio.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Well, I see nothing wrong with the pricing. For downstairs system, I would think an upgrade price to the XL14c gaspak to be no more than $500. As said the XL13c is a step down from the upstairs system quoted. Your choice though.

I would though insist on the Honeywell Vision Pro IAQ stat for the upstairs system over 803. You get true two stage thermostat plus dehumidify on demand feature for AC cooling. Don't cripple a nice system's capability with wrong thermostat.

What size living area for upstairs? What size XV80 furnace was quoted? If you post back, I will look up the AHRI matching performance/eff numbers for you.

IMO

• CT96
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tigerdunes,

Thank you for your comments. The vision pro will be included. Quote for AC upstairs was for 3 ton AC system with 80K BTU furnace). The cost for the XL14 downstairs came in at $500 more (we are getting the XL14 based on your recommendation.

Living upstairs is 1800 sqft
    Living downstairs is 1400 sqft

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

For best operation you will need the HW Vision Pro IAQ thermostat both for staging two stage heat based on demand rather than a timer that will put you on high stage most of the time whether needed or not. This feature alone will pay for itself. You need this stat for both the split system upstairs and XL14c downstairs. You will not regret getting the XL14c.

Plus the thermostats will need to be correctly wired for dehumidify on demand feature.

What size is downstairs system? Can't recall.

IMO
    Good Luck!

• CT96
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for your recommendations! Downstairs is about 1,400 sqft.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

What size system XL14c for downstairs? 2 ton or 2 1/2 Ton?