Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
torromd

Lennox Heat Pump Quote - is this reasonable?

TorroMD
11 years ago

We live in a four level townhouse in MD and our heat pump serving the 3rd and 4th floor (about 1200 sq ft) is expiring (have some leaks but can't locate the leaks). Our HVAC contractor is suggesting a new system. The current system is 14-15 year old and it is a 11 seer, 2 ton Bryan builder model heat pump. The heat pump currently is in the attic so the selection of a new heat pump is limited due to the attic space/access.

Here is the New model we got quote from:
Unit: AHRI#3839707
17.5 SEER/ 14.5 EER/ 9.5HSPF /2ton heat pump system
Lennox iComfort wifi controller (thermostat)
Lennox XP17-024-230 Heat Pump
Lennox CBX32MV-024/030 Variable Speed Air Handler
Lennox Electric Heat Package ECB-40-9CB

Includes: Montgomery County Mechanical Permit, Recovery, R11 flush, water safety, Slab & pump ups, disconnect box, electric misc., copper misc., duct modification to install air handler and removal of the old unit

Lennox Registered Limited Warranty terms include:
- 10 year limited warranty on compressor
- 10 year limited warranty on parts
Contractor's Labor Warranty:
- 2 years Labor Warranty on systems installed
- 2 years AG Maintenance Service Plan included
- 2 Seasonal Inspections of the equipment each year
- Labor included on regular service calls

Price Complete: $6,209.95 final price after Pepco & Lennox rebates, discount

Does this price sound reasonable and anything else we need to ask/pay attention?

Thanks!!
TorroMD

Comments (8)

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

If my decision, I would get a competitive quote on Trane XR15 or AmStd Heritage 15 to compare prices.

That is a nice sgl stage HP system from Lennox, pricing not too bad.

839707 Active Systems XP17 SERIES LENNOX INDUSTRIES, INC. XP17-024-230* CBX32MV-024/030*+TDR 25000 14.50 17.50 22200 9.50 14400

IMO

This post was edited by tigerdunes on Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 14:55

• ryanhughes
    11 years ago

A nice system and reasonably detailed proposal. The XP17 is a very quiet system and does have electronic demand defrost, which will greatly limit the amount of defrost cycles (better for equipment, efficiency, and comfort). For the most part your proposal seems fairly standard to me (both work scope and price wise).

I am in your area as well (Montgomery County). I suggest you call the following company as well for a proposal (link below) -- do yourself a favor and set up an appointment with Chris. They do good work (and no I am not employed by them :-) ). I would get a proposal for an XR15 or XL15i with matching TAM7 variable speed air handler.

While I do like Lennox equipment, I am not keen on the fact that their coils are still copper/aluminum as opposed to all-aluminum and certainly hope this changes soon as most manufacturers have begun doing so (Trane and Goodman to name a couple). Copper/aluminum coils have historically had leaking issues (as you've seen in your own system) due to pitting corrosion on the copper as well as galvanic corrosion between the Cu/Al. Aluminum coils are immune to the issue (not to say they cannot leak). With that said, Lennox still makes solid equipment, and your primary focus should always be finding the best company to do the work. Most all brands offer a 10 year factory parts warranty now.

Any problematic areas upstairs to heat/cool that may be due to ductwork issues (that can be addressed at the time of replacement)? The variable speed air handler will help move the air better, but proper duct design still matters. Its size, insulation value, layout, etc. all matter very much to the overall performance/efficiency of the system. Many home systems are lacking in this area. Attic in the ductwork especially needs to be sealed/insulated well.

Here is a link that might be useful: HVAC Installation

This post was edited by ryanhughes on Mon, Feb 3, 14 at 19:45

• TorroMD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks to tigerdunes and ryanhughes for the feedback.
    I just scheduled for Chris to come out for an estimate next week.

The contractor did mention that they will not change the existing duct work in the attic because that would probably cost more than the systems.

Does a 15 seer differ a lot from 17 seer in terms of energy cost saving?

Thanks!
    TorroMD

• ryanhughes
    11 years ago

It's unlikely all the ductwork needs to be replaced at 11 years old. However, changes and improvements for better flow can often easily be done especially when in the attic. Good luck and please keep us posted.

This post was edited by ryanhughes on Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 16:42

• weedmeister
    11 years ago

2 points of SEER mean about 8% lower energy cost.

• Apungke
    10 years ago

Hi TorroMD,

May I know where you got your quote from? I was quoted way more expensive for the items you mentioned above.
    Did you end up go with Lennox?

Thanks,
    Ferry

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

This is dead thread.

It is unlikely OP will even see it.

Pay attention to the post by RyanHughes, HVAC pro who lives in the same area.

Start your own thread, it is better forum etiquette anyway. Perhaps give a shout out to Ryan in your subject.

Good Luck
    IMO

• ryanhughes
    10 years ago

Thanks Tiger. I have updated the link in my original post to reflect the current name of the organization of experienced pros I recommend for residential work.

Ferry, if you do decide to start your own thread, I would be happy to assist you with any questions/decisions as I'm sure Tiger would. I definitely recommend getting in touch with the firm I linked to above if you are pursuing further estimates. I am sure they would be happy to assist you in finding the best system to meet your home's comfort needs.

This post was edited by ryanhughes on Mon, Feb 3, 14 at 20:06