Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rigid insulated duct for ERV instead of flex

Posted by trepex (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 14:32

Hi folks,

Our current home (and new home under construction) has an Energy Recovery Ventilator that we run pretty much year-round. The house uses rigid-foam cladding, and it's very very tight, so we rely on the ERV for regular air changes.

The unit is installed in the basement and the HVAC installers use insulated 6" flex duct (see link) for the intake and exhaust runs that are about 25 ft.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/flexible-insulated-ducting-6-inch-x-25-foot/959965

In our current home we've had to get the intake duct replaced three times because of either slits and tears in the vapour barrier, or else poor sealing on one side or the other, allowing humid inside air to get into the insulation and condensate on the inner duct that is passing really cold winter air to the unit. Each time water has accumulated in the lowest point of the duct run.

After the first two times this happened, I stopped having the HVAC guys do the warranty repair and I terminated the ends of the ducting myself to make sure it was done properly. The installer was lazy and used screws to hold the duct to the exterior cap, and then just wrapped tons of "duck tape" around it, taping it on. I followed the proper installation procedures of sealing the duct and vapour barrier separately to the collar, etc. Problem is that when the installer shoved the duct up into the floor joist, it came in contact with a bunch of screws poking down through the subfloor from above. I tried to catch all the tears and seal them with tuck tape, but I must have missed some and after this winter, once again I'm getting a bit of water accumulating in the insulation.

I'd like to not deal with this in the new home and replace the flex duct with insulated rigid ducting myself. Does this exist? If so could someone recommend what I'd need? Could I maybe get away with a smaller diameter since rigid wouldn't restrict airflow as much as the flex does?

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rigid insulated duct for ERV instead of flex

Metal duct with externally applied isulati.

Make sure the sheet metal is sealed at EVERY joint (every corner also) before the insulation goes on.

You likely will have to assemble, seal , then insulate the duct into one piece below its final position and then raise it up as required.

Luckily it is not heavy, just big and flimsy.

Since I usually had only a small work team, we would raise pieces of duct work like this using nylon webbing.

At least one strap for each section of metal ducting to avoid stressing the joints between sections any more than we had to.

Extra metal was often placed across the sealed joints from section to section to strengthen the large assembly.
Pop rivets to attach it all, and then mastic to seal the rivets.

We shortened the webbing by stapling it to the sides of adjacent joists over and over to raise the piece nearly level.

Then final strapping to hold it in place and removing the webbing used to raise it.

Attach to the fixed end (outside wall collar) and then fit to the ERV (since you can at least move it slightly during attaching and sealing).

It looks like on of the dumbest ways to install a run of duct, but it results in great sealing that survives installation with no leaks being introduced.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here