Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bostonoak

What type of insulation to use?

bostonoak
10 years ago

I have been upgrading my electrical situation.

My electrician has already completed putting in new wiring. We had the inspector come over for the first inspection. Things are fine so far.

As soon as my electrician is free again he'll return to hook up the new light fixtures and ceiling fans.

In the meantime, some of the holes he created brought in cold air from outside during the winter. I'm now about to have the holes that electrician created patched up with blueboard and plaster.

I have 3 questions:

1) Before the holes are patched, can I stuff the holes with insulation? If so, what would you recommend? I was at Home Depot some months ago and noticed these big rolls of pink insulation. They all have a different "R" rating. Is there any rating that is more suitable for my purposes? Also, should I get the ones with a paper backing?

2) When the carpenter comes to patch the holes, can I use the same pink insulation?

3) Is Home Depot's insulation good or is there a better alternative? Lowes? Another store? Online?

As always, any feedback will be highly appreciated!

Below is a photo of one of the holes in the wall that was bringing in cold air from outside (just to give you an idea).

Comment (1)