Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
UR thoughts on HP or Condensing for No VA

Posted by zepzo (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 22, 11 at 13:35

Hi Folks - need to replace the HVAC for a townhouse in northern VA. ~ 2200 sf, end unit with outside wall getting the afternoon sun, and the temp difference on the 3rd floor being as much as 8 degrees higher than the second floor in late afternoon of summer months. Current system is a 2.5 ton York builders' special from 1996.

Been reading the forum and am wondering if I should look at a heat pump configuration or stick with an condensing unit outside. I am receiving bids that are only condensing units with Trane and Carrier. My current thinking is to go with a Carrier Comfort 24ACC6 model and a Carrier infinity gas 80 58CVA090 2 stg, variable speed furnace, a power humidifier, and a Honeywell 4" media filter.

- Should I look at a heat pump configuration? Expected cost difference? Pros vs a condensing unit?

- What thermostat should I use to take advantage of the furnace and humidifier capabilities?

- Footprint space outside is a consideration for the outside unit. Are the Carrier Performance Compact series units worth considering?

Appreciate your insights - even if it is to tell me I'm being dumb :-)

Zepzo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: UR thoughts on HP or Condensing for No VA

I"m a fan of heatpumps over the straight A/C. They shouldn't cost much more over straight A/C. Maybe $500. They provide a steady stream of warm (not hot air). They run longer but keep rooms evenly heated. They do very well when above 30 F. Ofcourse it depends on how much your electricity costs. In a climate like yours heatpumps can run alot of the time and the gas only used say below 30 or 35 or 40 (depending on your comfort preference).

Heatpumps typically are built better than regular A/C's since they run much more.

o
RE: UR thoughts on HP or Condensing for No VA

Before you commit to anything, It would be beneficial to have your duct system carefully evaluated by an expert. You may be a candidate for zoning to cure your 3rd floor problems.

How was it heating that floor?

V

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here