Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homeimprovementdiva_gw

Lennox and Thermo Pride

Hello. I'm new to this forum and have a question. My husband and I are building a house and we are looking into furnaces. I called an HVAC person asking about Lennox because of the air purification system and filters they have. The gentlemen said they are great but also mentioned Thermo Pride and that they are more reliable and efficient. I tried to research Thermo Pride but have not been able to find any info. Does anyone have an opinion on either brand?

thanks!

Comments (6)

• ryanhughes
    15 years ago

Is this gas or oil?

• homeimprovementdiva
    Original Author
    15 years ago

oops, sorry. It will be an oil furnace.

• ryanhughes
    15 years ago

Here's info on Thermo Pride: http://www.thermopride.com/

I don't know enough about oil furnaces (or Thermo Pride itself) to tell you which one to get--someone else should. Focus on finding a solid dealer--someone who will do a load calculation to determine size, isn't pushy, and shows a concern for your indoor comfort by pointing out modifications (if necessary).

• olympiceagle
    15 years ago

Go with the Thermo Pride. When we built our home about 12 years ago, we put in a Lennox oil furnace. Since this was our first experience with an oil furnace, the somewhat frequent service calls didn't appear to be excessive at the time. Only later did we realize it was a sign of things to come. One day, after about 5-6 years, there was a loud bang in the garage that was caused by a furnace explosion that literally blew out the sides of the internal chamber. Fortunately, there was no fire. The serviceman (an independent) who had been servicing the Lennox told me that Lennox used to be a very good brand, but that they started to make their old furnaces "on the cheap", and the failure didn't surprise him at all. He suggested a Thermo Pride as a replacement. After doing what research we could (everything we found, although not much, was very good), we decided to get the Thermo Pride. As soon as he took the new furnace out of its container, we could see how much sturdier the unit was. So it's now been about another 5-6 years with the Thermo Pride, and other than the normal routine maintenance, absolutely no problems at all. Given the choice between the two, I think this one's a "no-brainer." Good luck!

• homeimprovementdiva
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for the advice. The company that I spoke to is a Lennox premier dealer and have been around a long time. The gentleman I spoke to was very knowledgable about different systems and indoor air quality which was important b/c my husband and two of our dogs have allergies. He did ask me to get a heat load analysis from the modular home company. He even gave me some useful info incase I didn't buy from them. He did say the Thermo Pride has a 40yr warranty which does seem like a "no brainer" but I wasn't sure because I can't find any other info but on Thermo Pride site. Atleast I know someone has had good luck with them and it sounds like a winner.

• zl700
    15 years ago

Thermopride is the best in the oil industry. When you look at the gauge of the heat exchanger combined with the weight of the unit compared to almost everyone elseÂs, it is the best.

Thermopride also manufacturers their scaled down version with the same weight heat exchanger but, different shape and no copper coating along with not quite a nice of cabinet, however, a good compromise if price is an issue.

There may be more than I am not aware of but to date, I know that Thermopride makes this scaled down version under the Trane/American Standard label along with Crown (Crown Boiler).

If given the option and your oil dealer/installer is up to date on burners, go with the Reillo burner.