Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caseyj_gw

HVAC Drain

caseyj
11 years ago

My home is on a slab and provides no source for an in floor drain. My current furnace is located in a breezeway and I want to update to a high efficiency system. Each of these requires a 2 drains with 2 overflows.

My thoughts are to run a drain line through a wall and connect into a bathroom drain on the opposite side which is about four ft. away. All drains from the unit would go via gravity feed or a condensation pump.

My question is could I use a dish washer drain adapter for this connection above the sink trap or should I use new drain piping and trap? Thank you.

Comments (7)

• mike_home
    11 years ago

I don't think connecting the drain line with a dishwasher adapter would violate any plumbing codes. The furnace condensate is slightly acidic so I would be concerned about connecting it to a brass drain trap. You may be better off with a new trap made of PVC piping.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

Condensate drains require an indirect drain into the DWV system.

There MUST be an air gap between the end of the condensate drain and the flood level of whatever it empties into.

• caseyj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mike - This sink drain is your standard 1.25, pvc train trap used on any bathroom sink. I removed the downward sleeve that goes into the trap and replaced it with a dish washer type pvc pipe with it's corresponding drain nipple. My intent was to install an in-the-wall type washing machine drain on the outer wall and connect it to the dish washer nipple in the bathroom via a pex hose.

Brick - Not sure of what your saying? Can you provide me with an example with my proposed lay out?

Thank you all for your responses.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

If you do not know what an indirect waste is stop now and hire a plumber.

• mike_home
    11 years ago

If it is a PVC dishwasher/drain connection then it should be fine.

Brickeyee,

Are you saying you need to install an air gap for the time when the bathroom basin is filled with water? Wouldn't the basin overflow provide a sufficient source of air?

• caseyj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Brick - Didn't mean to intrude on your knowledge base. Just thought that you could explain your answer. Why are you on this forum if you can't contribute?

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"Are you saying you need to install an air gap for the time when the bathroom basin is filled with water?"

The air gap must be above the flood level of the basin to the end of the drain line.

it is required by every code I have ever seen for draining condensate from an HVAC system that does NOT use a condensate pump (they often put the air gap at the condensate pup holding tank).

You do not ant ANY chance of dirty water getting in to an HVAC system (they often grow enough junk from things that make it through the filters.

All you need to do is make sure the pipe ends above the upper edge of the sink by at least a couple pipe diameters.
    It is not hard.

The water is moderately corrosive through.

it is essentially cold distilled and has very low levels of solutes, making it somewhat aggressive at dissolving things.