Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jazzsays_gw

Lennox vs Trane vs Bryant

jazzsays
15 years ago

When we moved into our current house, we initially used our heat pump for both heating and cooling. During the winter months, the generated heat was insufficient and so we converted over to oil. After the conversion, the heat pump was wired just for cooling and the boiler/furnace was used just for heating.

Our heat pump is no longer operational and we are looking to replace it with one of the systems listed below. Our goal is to use the heat pump as our primary stage of heating (also qualifies us for a reduced electric rate reduces our use of oil depending on the temp) and use the oil as a secondary stage or backup source of heat.

Based on the information below, which is the best rated system for performance and quality? Should I be concerned about installing a 4 ton system when my current system is only 3.5 tons? Also, are these fair prices?

Current: York Heat Pump (3.5 tons)

Estimates:

1) Bryant Preferred Series 15 Puron heat pump

Outdoor Unit: 265ANH042

Indoor Unit: FV4BNB006T

Bryant Heat Pump Thermostat

ARI Reference # 1125838

Warranty: 1 year parts & labor from the installer, plus manufactures warranty

Price$: 8760.00

2) Trane XL 15I Weathertron

Outdoor Unit: 4TWX5042A1000A

Indoor Unit: 4TEE3F65B1000A

Electric Backup 15KW: BAYHTR1415BRKB

Thermostat

ARI Reference # 1382172

Warranty: Trane 15 Seer Heat Pump  10 years parts warranty plus Free 10 parts and labor

Price$: 8005.98 Â 200 for the electric backup (not needed)

= 7800.98

3) Dave Lennox Signature Collection XP15 Heat Pump

Dave Lennox Signature Collection CBX32MV Variable Speed, Multi-postion Air Handler

ComfortSense 7000 Series Touchscreen Thermostat

ARI Reference Not supplied with estimate but I believe it to be 920191

Warranty: 1 year labor  Manufactures 10 year limited warranty on covered components

Price$: 7826 (includes $500 rebate for EAP)

** Concern with system tonage. I believe this to be a 4 ton unit and my current unit is 3.5 tons.

4) Lennox Elite Series XP14 Heat Pump

Elite Series CBX27UH/CB27UH Air Handler

ComfortSense 7000 Series Touchscreen Thermostat

ARI Reference Not supplied with estimate but I believe it to be 1292518

Warranty: 1 year labor  Manufactures 5 year limited warranty on covered components

Price$: 6764 (includes $500 rebate for EAP)

Thanks.

Comments (8)

• ryanhughes
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Good, comparable systems. I'd throw out #4 since it doesn't compare quite as well to the other 3 without the variable speed blower. On the 4 ton issue, that's probably because the performance specs on the 3.5 ton XP15 suck, to be honest. Make sure your ductwork can handle the extra 200 cfm or so. A load calc should be done to determine proper sizing.

• baldloonie
    15 years ago

I've never liked oversizing but if the 3.5 ton XP15 doesn't do the best job and you have the duct system for 4 ton, probably wouldn't be that big of a deal. But from our experience we find few houses can handle the airflow they need now let alone going bigger.

• jazzsays
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Who can perform the load calculation?

Also, how can I determine how much air flow my current duct work can handle?

If the load calc does not coincide with the duct work numbers, how can I correct the issue?

• bajau
    14 years ago

You received great quotes. I live in coastal SC near Beaufort and the same system 3) Dave Lennox Signature Collection XP15 Heat Pump withDave Lennox Signature Collection CBX32MV Variable Speed, Multi-postion Air Handler and ComfortSense 7000 Series Touchscreen Thermostat estimate is $11,697. For a 3 ton and $11,304. For a 2 ton system. Any thoughts why such a huge difference in quotes? Where do you live?

• tigerdunes
    14 years ago

jazz

what is the area of country you live?

what is your electric rate? any special rate for HP heating?

current cost for oil?

Depending on where you live, I think it is a mistake not to include a staged heat strip both for defrost mode and to extend the effectiveness of heating with a HP vs oil.

you do want to take advantage of a new HP system that qualifies for Fed Govt tax credit.

I like the Bryant and Trane quotes best but because of the price difference and better warranty, I would lean toward Trane.

IMO

• ryanhughes
    14 years ago

bajau

I would start your own thread/topic to keep things organized. This thread is about a month old.

Prices vary by dealer and location. Best thing to do is to get 2-3 quotes to get a ballpark idea for your area's costs. You're looking at great equipment though.

• jazzsays
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just going through this thread for the last time. "tigerdunes", I live in PA and unfortunately, I can't recall what my floating/cap cost is for my oil contract.

"Depending on where you live, I think it is a mistake not to include a staged heat strip both for defrost mode and to extend the effectiveness of heating with a HP vs oil."

I am not familiar with the staged heat strip to which you are referring. I am going to have to inquire about that. I think I am going to pull the trigger soon and go with Trane.

• bajau
    14 years ago

We live in coastal SC and have steamy weather extremes and frequent lightning, power outages and surges, with on again off again power.

We own Trane Heat Pumps and Air Handlers, one 3 ton and one 2.5 ton, which were installed 11 years ago by the builder of our house [we are the second owner for 8 years]. We have been told that the heater crankcase has failed on the 2.5 ton unit which would be an expensive repair on a 11 year old unit and we have been advised that we should strongly consider buying new units because of their age. Overall, we have been pleased with these Trane units. Previously, we had Carrier units and were pleased with them. When problems occurred, the technicians could repair them quickly.

Service Experts here in coastal SC near Beaufort and Hilton Head has quoted me for a 2.5 ton unit: Lennox Elite XP14 and the CBX27UH, variable speed air handler; digital thermostat, Pure Air Cabinet; 10 yr. parts and compressor, 1 yr labor $6719. Less rebate of 400. For net 6319. Plus To extend the labor 9 years is $1,095.00. Told Tax Credit Available.

Lennox Elite XP15 and the CBX32MV, variable speed air handler; Touch screen programmable thermostat, Pure Air Cabinet; 10 yr. parts ands compressor, 1 yr labor $8421. Less rebate of 500. For net $7921. Plus To extend the labor 9 years is $1,095.00. Told NO Tax Credit Available.

Lennox Elite XP19 and the CBX32MV; variable speed air handler; 2 speed compressor; Touch screen programmable thermostat, Pure Air Cabinet; 10 yr. parts and compressor, 10 yr labor $11408. Less rebate of 900. For net 10508. Told Tax Credit Available.

I have been quoted for a 3.0 ton unit: Lennox Elite XP14 and the CBX27UH, variable speed air handler; digital thermostat, Pure Air Cabinet; 10 yr. parts and compressor, 1 yr labor $8009. Less rebate of 400. For net 7608. Plus To extend the labor 9 years is $1,095.00. Told Tax Credit Available.

: Lennox Elite XP15 and the CBX32MV, variable speed air handler; Touch screen programmable thermostat, Pure Air Cabinet; 10 yr. parts ands compressor, 1 yr labor $9003. Less rebate of 500. For net $8503. Plus To extend the labor 9 years is $1,095.00. Told NO Tax Credit Available.

Lennox Elite XP19 and the CBX32MV; variable speed air handler; 2 speed compressor; Touch screen programmable thermostat, Pure Air Cabinet; 10 yr. parts and compressor, 10 yr labor $12153. Less rebate of 900. For net 11253. Told Tax Credit Available.

Service Experts here state that the Trane XL15I Weathertron 4TWX5030A1 with 4TEE3F39A1 and the XL15I Weathertron 4TWX5036A1 with 4TEE3F39A1 are the same as the Lennox Elite XP15 and the CBX32MV and would cost us the same. They also state that the Carrier Performance "H" series units, such as PERFORMANCE 15 PURON HP CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING 25HPA536H30 FV4BNB006 or PERFORMANCE 15 PURON HP CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING 25HPA548H30 FV4BNB006 are Carriers 3 ton and 4 ton units with a 5 ton Air Handler. They state that a 2.5 and 3 ton unit would cost the same as the Trane or Lennox systems..

Are these Lennox, Trane, and Carrier units comparable and does this pricing sound reasonable.

Thank you for your comments, opinions and thoughts.