Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikes_54

Checking a quote on a replacement airconditioner and furnance

MikeS_54
12 years ago

I have a unit that was put in new with the house in 1994. The current unit still works,but I was told that the pan that the water for the AC is rusting and will rust through. I have a maintainance contract that has someone come out twice a year to maintain the unit. The current unit is a Carrier Weather Maker 9200(Gas-fired.

My house is a townhouse with 3 levels and an additional sun room on the first floor with the additional space in the basement. My basement is unfinished. Total sq feet is 2,040.

I was quoted the price of $8256 for a Carrier Performance 96 Gas Furnace with comfort heat technology 2-stage gas valve, with variable speed fan, Infinity 3 ton 2-stage air conditioner, and an Edge Programmable thermostat. 15.9 SEER and 12.5 EER The price will be minus $300 rebate form Carrier, $300 for gas and $300 for A/C rebate from the gas/electric company the net price $7356.

Is this a good price?

Comments (8)

• neohioheatpump
    12 years ago

What part of the country? Nice equipment. Price isn't cheap but pretty standard for this type of equipment.
    Are they replacing the copper line-set?

• mike_home
    12 years ago

If you are going to get an Infinity AC, then you need to get the Infinity controller. You should qualify for a higher rebate from Carrier which will likely offset the additional cost.

Can you list the model numbers of the equipment?

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

I agree with above post.

Either upgrade the furnace to Infinity series with Infinity controller or drop down from the Infinity AC.

Makes a big question why Carrier dealer would quote you the way he did.

IMO

• MikeS_54
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the information.
    I live in Maryland.
    The model number for the AC is 24ANB736A003 and the Furnace is 59TP5A080then a letter thatlooks like a backwards E1716.
    They are going to replace the coil with a model # CNPUP3617ATA

Here's all the information for the installation and the work that is to be done.

Installation of properly sized refigerant lines or flush
    Installation of new condenser pad and/or heat pump legs
    New complete condensate drain/and/or pump
    Reclamation of existant refigerant
    All necessary permits.
    Necessary gas piping to new equiptment.
    Use of existing air distribution system
    Required modification of existing air distribution box
    New suppy register 1 (in the basement)
    Schedule 40 PVC vent piping intake and exhaust of condensing style gas furnace.
    Removal of existing equipment and debris
    All work performed by Trust Certified Licensed Technicians
    Installation of new thermostat
    Necessary electical wiring
    New outdoor disconnect

• mike_home
    12 years ago

This is a nice system assuming it is properly sized and installed.

Ask the contractor to include the Infinity controller and find out how that will affect the rebate amount. You want new refrigerant lines and not flush the old ones. I don't think this should be a problem since the furnace is in the basement. Ask if the installation includes a 4 inch media filter. I would pay for an upgrade if it is not.

There is no mention of a warranty. Carrier includes a 10 year parts warranty. Ask if the contractor offers the 10 year labor warranty from Carrier.

• lumper20
    12 years ago

Sounds like a great unit. Great advice,too. I noticed Trane has a $1,250 rebate or lower interest financing through May 1st or 2nd.

Our Trane got hot hard by hail on 3-2-this year. The fins have some 60-80 dents in them, and; my AC man tell me that combing out these is no cure all. The roofs are what got blasted the most here from the hail, as everyone is getting a new roof. My concern is that AC/gas package unit. We have a Trane commercial YCC03 M unit that is only a ten seer. It has run great with only one outage in 9 years. My AC man told me the part to replace the damaged fins is 1800 installed and a new 13 Seer package unit is 4300 installed. Is that high with the $1250 rebate as he did not mention a rebate?

Thanks.

• mike_home
    12 years ago

I am not familiar with Trane rebates, but I would imagine in order to qualify for a $1250 rebate you would need to get a complete top of the line furnace and AC replecement.

Are you getting any money from you home owner's insurance?

• lumper20
    12 years ago

Mike: I will call.I doubt it.The talk was about combing. I will pay out of pocket for the AC.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio