Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacing hot water tank for radiant heating system

Posted by jcanimals (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 4, 12 at 12:53

Currently, the condo I'm living in has an indoor closet w/ a combination hot water heater supplying hot water and the hydronic radiant heating system. I live in Seattle, so heat is needed for much of the year. The tank is an expensive Bradford White model that costs ~$2000, but the existing tank is leaking.

One plumber suggested a simple drop-in replacement. But this would still be quite expensive due to the price of the tank.

Another plumber suggested a tankless replacement. Normally it's an expensive upgrade, but since a traditional tank is so expensive anyways, the cost would be similar. Would such a system be appropriate for my situation? Also, I've seen hybrid models (w/ a small reserve tank as a buffer) -- are these worthwhile?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacing hot water tank for radiant heating system

I am trying to understand your system. Is this one combined unit, or do you have a separate domestic hot water tank which is heated indirectly?

If the hot water tank is separate, then why not replace it with a conventional hot water heater?

o
RE: Replacing hot water tank for radiant heating system

I would think that a proper installation of an instantaneous hydronic heating & potable water boiler system would be substantially more expensive than a simple combi swap.

If the person recommending the tankless water heater is just going to install a regular tankless system that is not made for both space heating & potable water and is not going to modify the delivery system very much, then I would expect this system to have (potentially serious) delivery problems.

Tankless systems are generally superior to tanks, but if it's not a proper space heating + potable water system (In Vancouver you can't even buy one of these systems wholesale for less than $2000) I'd just go with the combi.

Here is a link that might be useful: Benefits of a Tankless System

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here