Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
impliedconsent

18,500. to replace??

impliedconsent
12 years ago

House is about 2800SF heated. Built in '93. Came with 2 x 3T RUUD builder grade HVAC systems (POS). Units were replace in 2001 with 2 x Goodman 3T units (POS), upgrading condenser coils and air handlers. Now that the warranty has ran out, the 2 systems want to die. Getting nickle/dimed with constant repairs. Enough.

So, I go to my local dealer to get a quote to replace the systems with Trane products. I did some research and they seem to have a better than average history.

Sales guy comes out to the house and spends a good hour going through our basement, duct work, attic, furnaces, etc... very thorough. He made a recommendation of replacing the entire HVAC system (no issues there), optimizing the duct work (replacing the leaking, gangly things), no issues.

The quote was for 2 x Trane XL16i (4TTX6036E) and 2 x XC95m (1 x TUHMB080ACV3VA and 1 x TDHMB080ACV3VA), new programmable thermostats duct replacements and added a return.

Please tell me this guy is out of his frickin mind ... or ... ?

Comments (7)

• mike_home
    12 years ago

You have been quoted Trane's best furnace, and second to the the best AC condenser. A price of $18,500 for two systems plus some duct work (can't tell how extensive) would not be a bad price for where I live in NJ.

What is your location? A total of 6 tons seems oversized for a 2800 sq. ft. house. I would think a 2 ton unit for the first floor would be sufficient. Did the contractor do a load calculation?

You could move down in the Trane product line in order to save money. Did the contractor offer any other options?

• fsq4cw
    12 years ago

You're looking at your 3rd system in less than 20 years. Have you considered geothermal; perhaps one unit with zoning?

SR

• impliedconsent
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@mike_home - live in Atlanta - the home has a finished basement and 2 more levels. Yep, after I explained my shock, he sent me another quote for the XL13i/...can't remember the furnaces ... 12,500.
    I expected 10k+ - for the XL20i replacement. I checked their costs - 2700. per 20i. yes, they are quoting multi-zoning with the units. Oh, thermostats - $600. each. I'm not an AC guy, just a simple deployed Soldier trying to help the wife from Afghanistan, but it just doesn't sit right. Yes, I can expect to pay for quality but dang.

@fsq4cw - I don't know anything about geothermal. I guess I can do some research. It still comes down to the equipment doesn't it? I can run them, service them, talk to them, praise them ... yet, they still die. Geothermal seems like a complete overhaul of the systems and likely to cost much more. Heck, I could go on replacing the 2 units every 10yrs with Goodman for the next 60yrs for the price of I was quoted for the trane.

Don't get me wrong. I'm don't abuse the systems, heck, I've been using the company that is trying to sell me the Trane for 19yrs for my servicing.

• fsq4cw
    12 years ago

The thing about geothermal is that there's no outdoor condenser sitting in the elements which means that the equipment lasts much longer in addition to being more efficient. If you're completely changing out the entire system, the big price difference between geothermal and conventional HP's will be drilling the boreholes and installing the ground loops.

There may also be larger tax incentives for geothermal.

Thank you for your service - stay safe!

SR

• heatseeker
    12 years ago

You get what you pay for. Is the company that installed the goodman or ruud the same as your service company or did you go with the lowest bidder?

• mike_home
    12 years ago

You have two independent systems. This is what I have in my house. It costs nearly twice as much when it comes time to replace the equipment. I went through this three years ago so I understand your pain.

It looks like you got a second quote from the Trane contractor for $12,500. I assume this includes a basic furnace with the XL13i condenser and the duct work. This again sounds like a reasonable quote.

I have no experience with Goodman other than the compliants I have read on this and other forums. I find it unaccepatable the Goodman equipment lasted only 11 years. I personally would not be eager to repeat this scenario.

If the quotes are exceeding the budget, then I suggest you consider the less featured equipment in the Trane line up. You could also replace one system this year, and do the other system next year or so. I would rather see you take this approach then going with a low bidder pushing a Goodman, Payne, or some other low end brand.

• impliedconsent
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@heatseeker - I getchya and yes, I did go with the lowest bidder (was recently divorced...'nother story). I've always been a fan of the cliche' get what you pay for and this time it proved true.

@mike_home - Your on target and yes, certainly exceeds my Soldier budget (wife is not employed) with wife/2 kids. Those are the ones I'm worried about. I was looking at just replacing the AC ... maybe with XR15 instead, but contractor says he can't do AC without doing furnace.

I'm trying to do this all from Afghanistan where internet can be scarce and if available, is probably down. Thx y'all.