Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New duct work, what to look for?

Posted by brad_hucks (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 19, 12 at 12:07

I'm getting my duct work repaired/replaced. Contractor coming out Monday to finalize the quote & paper work. I need to have a general sense of what I should be getting when having this work done. I know that all new flex should be R8. They are re-doing the plenhum and making it come off the blower in more of a Y shape. They are raising the existing unit off the floor (not sure why). They are putting in a bypass, they are adding an auto shut off, they are adding dampers to some of the supply lines to better control air flow. They are ensuring my 2 zones will work properly after install. They will be using mastik tape. What else should I ask for or require them to do? I've heard of a supply air sensor, do I need one?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New duct work, what to look for?

Sounds like they know what they ARE DOING. I would not stress it just monitor the work as it is being done.

o

this is that $4200 job?
is it a repair or a replacement?
some areas are better sealed with mastic
that comes in a bucket and is applied with
a brush. I generally have both on hand.
I would look for more specifics.
repair or replace?
if you have a trunk line and flex comming off of
the trunk then unless they externally insulate the
trunkline then it is still R4...
what do you currently have and what are the
problems?
if you keep your posts in one thread it is
easier for everyone to keep track.

best of luck

o

Yes, this is the $4200 job. It's a repair job but they are replacing a lot of stuff, mainly the plenhum and some trunk. Sorry for double posting, here's the original thread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hvac/msg041537155882.html?7

Problems are general cold/warm spots in the house. A bonus room above the attic which stays hot, and in the summer the system runs all day and can't keep up.

o

so did you look into the foaming of the roofline
vs the cost of the ductwork?

bouns rooms in attics are surrounded by
attic air. upsizing the ducts to this area
doesn't always improve the comfort.

best of luck

o

I was told just nailing up insulation board over the studs and existing insulation on knee walls and bonus room walls made a significant difference as long as it is 3/4" or thicker if spray foam insulation is out of budget. I also have seen barriers made to box allow extra blow in fiberglass or cellulose over the duct work.

Insulating the ductwork might not seem to make that large of a difference to total output temp but it will make it get to that temp much faster if the ductwork isn't the same temp as the attic.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here