Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tallytomatoe

Comfortmaker System

tallytomatoe
10 years ago

Does anyone know anythign about Comfortmaker systems? I got a quote of $10,500 for the following:

EQUIPMENT: COMFORTMAKER R(410-A)
AIR HANDLER FXM4X3000A HIGH EFFICENCY
COND UNIT N4H330GKA 14 SEER
AIR HANDLER FXM4X3600A HIGH EFFICENCY
COND UNIT N4H336GKA 14 SEER
HEAT STRIPS (2) EHK10AKN 10 KW
THERMOSTAT (2) TH6220D1002 PROGRAMMABLE

This is a new home 2,932 sq ft in N. FL

Comments (11)

• tallytomatoe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is all new installation and includes duct installation and evreything else needed. It is two three ton units. I will have a load calc done so I guess I should wait for that to come back. Just wanted to know if Comfortmaker was a decent brand or not. The system quoted seems to be their entry level so I'll probably ask for quotes from their higher up models also.
    Thanks for the reply fluffy.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Previous poster should reread OP.

There are two systems quoted both 13 SEER, 1 three ton, 1 two and half ton.

A little background. Comfortmaker is one of the residential HVAC brands in the ICP family. ICP is a business unit of Carrier who is owned by United Technologies. Many ICP dealers love to make the connection to Carrier as a selling point. I would not say they are similar in quality.

Nothing is said in the quote about new refrigerant linesets.

I am no expert in these model numbers. The air handler appears to be a high eff ECM model but not var speed. Now to the condenser. This appears to be a low end builder grade model HP. I would not recommend that. If that is the case, I would at least move up to the SX 2300 model, still a 13 SEER model but a much better condenser.

I suspect the pricing is better than the equipment.

IMO

Here is a link that might be useful: ICP Website

This post was edited by tigerdunes on Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 17:03

• tallytomatoe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks TD. I agree that the price is probably better than the equipment. I've asked the guy who gave me that bid and the other companies bidding to quote good (13 seer) Better (15 seer) and best (17 seer). What should I be looking for as far as the condenser is concerned? Also, should I aim for a variable speed air handler?

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

there are three equally important components-quality HVAC, the install by dealer, and probably the most overlooked and disregarded is the ductwork system.

these are my minimum specs for a new HP system. both outside and inside units should be replaced to have a properly matched system.

15 SEER, 12.5+ EER, 9 HSPF
    best matching VS air handler
    full BTUs in both cooling and heating for your rated size
    R-410a refrigerant(same as Puron)
    scroll compressor preferred
    electronic demand defrost preferred
    thermostat with "dehumidify on demand" feature
    staged backup heat strips
    new and correctly sized refrigerant lineset
    10 yr warranty compressor and parts

you want a thorough inspection of your ductwork system. size, overall condition, supply and return lines, insulation qualities, leak test, etc.
    any hot/cold spot issues in your home should be addressed.

I would only use authorized dealers for the various brands that provide quotes. see mfg websites.

IMO

• tallytomatoe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I appreciate the advice TD. Is a load calc. a must since it's new construction?

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Absolutely!

• tallytomatoe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I spoke with a potential sub today who quoted me on a Bryant 15 seer. He is an authorized dealer and the system has everything that TD listed above (except dehumidify on demand therm). Two 3 ton 15 seer units (Prefered Series)and everything else needed for new construction installation for $15,000. Is a Bryant system 5 grand better than a Comfortmaker system?

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

If you want an informed opinion, then post complete model numbers both outside condenser and inside air handler.

All details as well.

And I will remind you. Your GC/ dealer quoted you some low end junk condensers.

I believe I mentioned the price was much better than the equipment.

IMO

• Archie2013
    10 years ago

I am being quoted the following for $27K. This seems high to me, but it does include complete installation from scratch. Comfortmaker CKH548 4.0 ton, 15 seer heat pump, Comfortmaker FVM48 variable speed air handler, Comfortmaker EHK 20 electric heat, HL 50 copper insulated line set, digital thermostat and wire, condenser pad, heat pump riser legs, ceiling supply registers w/dampers, 15 return registers, all ductwork and insulation, and an Aprilaire air filter. Any comments on this quote? Don't know a thing about Comfortmaker.

• Aaron Steinblock
    8 years ago

Avoid Comfortmaker like the plague. Very poorly made. Wouldn't honor our warranty when 2 of the 3 we bought failed after 3 years (we had to change out the induction blowers since the bearings seized up). There wasn't a 'licensed Comfortmaker repair company' available so we had to use a local HVAC company. They refused to compensate us for any costs involved. Very difficult and rude to work with.

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource