Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jltmaxx

Help w/ Trane quote please.

jltmaxx
14 years ago

Can someone please tell me if this quote is reasonable. I live in Houston, Tx. I currently have a 3.5 ton, 10 SEER Goodman that is 8 yrs. old. No heat pump, just heat strips. The current install also has an intake that is only 16 inches and shoddy duct work (multiple wyes off one duct and two wyes even have wyes coming off them!)

The quote I just got is for a Trane 4 ton heat pump (XB14 model 4TWB4048E) with a matching air handler that has an expansion valve that I do not know the model number of. I know that's important and will post that when I get it. He is going to make the intake from 16" to 20". He is also going to completely install and redo the ductwork with each register having it's own duct. The new plenum will have dampers. New touch screen thermostat (no model).

Does $6,000 sound pretty reasonable? I've seen his work and he is very detail oriented.

Comments (7)

• ryanhughes
    14 years ago

Yes, sounds more than reasonable because A. it's a heat pump (costs more than air conditioner), B. it includes a total redesign of the ductwork, and C. sounds like he knows what he's doing if he's talking about dampers and increasing return. I actually would think $7000 is a reasonable price, but the ultimate judge will be you, the buyer. Have you received other estimates?

• ryanhughes
    14 years ago

When used with the 4TEE3F65B1 air handler, this system qualifies for the $1500 tax credit, if you are eligible and have not used it on other home improvements. That is a 5 ton air handler and of course would need its airflow adjusted for a 4 ton system (good installer will know this).

• jltmaxx
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK. Thanks for the info. I'm totally new to this AC stuff and I'm open to any input from everyone. Thanks again.

• ryanhughes
    14 years ago

They upgrade cost may not be significant to step up to the XR15 unit. Little nicer finish and quieter, but the XB14 you were quoted is not a bad unit by any measure.

Let us know if you have any more questions and what the dealer's feedback is.

• dougl99
    14 years ago

I think we live in the same neighborhood. I bought a new home, single 4 ton system on 2800', and had 17 WYES. Yes, you heard correct, 17. Only 4 taps off of the plenum. I couldn't control temp anywhere until I ripped it all out and started over.

Sounds like a very fair price and you will be much happier without all of the wyes. I'm sure your guy will, but make sure he attaches the ducts for the 'unimportant rooms' closer to the coil and the 'important rooms' closer to the end. You elec bill in the winter should improve dramatically.

• loves2read
    14 years ago

DOUGl99--could you explain why you say to duct the "unimportant" rooms closer to the coil and the "important" room closer to the end
    you expect the heating bill to go down--how will doing that affect the electric bill in summer?

• dougl99
    14 years ago

ducts attached at the end of the supply plenum will get more airflow. Therefore ducts going to closets/powder rooms/etc should not be at the end of the supply plenum. I'm strictly speaking on comfort/performance and not electric bills.