Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Condensate pump running

Posted by jleiwig (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 29, 08 at 9:51

Hello. I recently moved into a "new" old house and when you turn on the heat, the AC condensate pump runs continuously. I'm guessing by everything I've read that the float in the pump is stuck. It appears to be a little giant pump, but I haven't pulled it out to get the make or model off of it.

My question is this. Is there a way to wire it so that it only comes on when the selector is switched to AC? I can't imagine a reason why it would be needed for the heat. Am I wrong in thinking that?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Condensate pump running

It may be needed for a condensate producing furnace or humidifier while heating.

They are simple to check and clean, 4 screws and top comes off.

Many times installers shove tubing used as drains into the pump holes that bind the float, check that first.

o

I don't think I have a condensate producing furnace. There is definitely no humidifier.

I'll try cleaning it first and checking the tubing. It's wedged behind the water heater so it's difficult to get to, but do-able.

Thanks,

Justin

o

Does your furnace vent up a chimney or out the wall? If it's high efficiency using through-the-wall venting it will produce condensate that needs to be drained periodically.

the pump shouldn't run constantly--that's a pump problem that won't be solved by wiring it differently. FWIW, replacements cost less than $100 generally and you can install yourself if you're mildly handy.

o

Justin, I think you should clean out the pump, they have tablets you can drop in to keep them cleaner. The pump running constant is going to burn itself out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here