Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heat Pump noise levels

Posted by bookgal (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 16, 11 at 9:29

Where can I find information on the noise level of various brands of heat pumps? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heat Pump noise levels

The manufacturers list decibal ratings for their condensers (outdoor units). Noise coming out from the ductwork vents is a whole different issue.

o

Our Carrier heat pump is now 10 years old. The outdoor unit was very quiet when first installed, but weather and age lead to rattles. I cut thin strips of rubber to act as bushings/washers to silence the rattles between metal/metal or plastic/metal connections (grill/body panels). Our Silencer system is now silent again.

We replaced the indoor air handler at the same time as the outdoor unit. I specifically wanted a quiet fan because our old one was loud. The A/C guy sold me on the single stage, variable speed unit and he also installed a sound deadening baffle where the air handler connects to the old metal duct work. In addition, the unit sits on rubber bushings on the concrete floor.

It works well, especially the way it slowly ramps up to speed, and is generally quiet. The only time it will make a loud noise is in the winter if you set your thermostat really low at night and then the metal ducts will pop in the early morning due to the higher thermostat setting coming on. We solved this problem by only dropping the temp 2 degrees at night for better sleeping/economy. Heat pumps tend to work best with small changes in demanded temperature. We also have the electric strip backup, but it rarely comes on.

It's been a great system, and I hope it lasts 20 years.

o

Great info thanks!

o

no matter how quiet the salesman tells you their heat pump is never install it near a main bedroom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here