Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snappity_gw

Placement of mini split heat pump

snappity
10 years ago

I am scheduled to have a mini split ductless heat pump installed at the end of the month but am unsure about placement.

Our house is 24x24, 2 stories, and the unit will go downstairs. The living room is where we'd like it, but the wall we'd hoped to install it is out because there is a small propane tank outside where the compressor would go. The next suggestion was on the front of the house, and the easiest area would be an eyesore -- eye level, between our front door and living room windows. I wasn't keen on that, so we are planning to put it beneath the LR windows (which are behind a shrub that is about 2.5 feet from the house) but the concern there is keeping snow from building up. (We live in Maine.)

After the contractor left, I wondered about putting it in the kitchen -- the first floor is just three rooms, in a circular pattern, LR across the front, kitchen and dining room in the back, and the kitchen is a bit bigger than the DR, and they all have two doors leading into the other rooms.

Can anyone speak to what the maintenance of a lower mounted unit (if we go with the front option) is like in winter, or how it might work if we mounted it in an easier to maintain room, but that is not the biggest room where the stairs also are?

I've emailed the contractor already, but thought I'd put it out to the internet for advice as well....

Comments (2)