Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyerweb

Heat Pump vs. Air Handler sizing

meyerweb
9 years ago

I've gotten several estimates for a new heat pump.The most recent company is Angile's List A rated, Carrier Factory Authorized, and claim all their techs are NATE certified. Compared to other companies, the rep did a much more thorough job of measuring the duct sizes, including the returns, measured the square footage of the house, and used a computer program to calculate sizes. (The others used a paper slide-rule sort of thing)

But he's recommending a variable speed 3 ton to 5 ton air handler(Carrier FE4ANB006T00) to go with a 3 ton Greenspeed heat pump. I'm concerned about such a large mismatch in capacity. I asked him about humidity control, and he said the larger coil in the 5 ton air handler would improve dehumidification. But if the lowest airflow it can supply is 3 ton, vs. a smaller unit varying from 2 to 3.5 ton.... I just don't know. He also says this combination of 3 ton compressor and this air handler has the highest SEER and HSPF ratings.

Does anyone have any expertise and thoughts on whether this is a good match or not? The house is about 3800 sq. ft, and the ducting (he says) supports about 1420 CFM on the supply side and 1250 on the return, but he's also going to enlarge a too small return duct in the basement.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022