Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
char6_gw

13 or 15 seer - please indulge me!

Char6
11 years ago

I know this has been discussed, but, in my home reno, my HVAC contractor wants to install 2.5 ton Goodman, and the 13 seer is about $800 less than the 15 seer. That's not much but when doing a complete reno with costs everywhere, it's a lot. My little house,1200 sf. has large overhangs so I don't worry about summertime/sun heat, and I plan to use a small woodstove in the winter. I'm in Western NC, the foothills (warmer than Asheville, not as hot as Charlotte). Plus, in a few years, I'm probably for sure going solar. SO, is it really worth the extra for the 15 seer? HVAC guy says the warranty is better... advice, please. (And I know there are Goodman detractors out there - have one now for 10 years and it's been great). Also, I'm getting new low-e argon windows, new to-code insulation, and all new duct work. THANKS!

Comments (8)

• mike_home
    11 years ago

I am going to assume the 13 Seer unit is the builder's grade unit of the Goodman line. This is not a good choice.

Has your contractor to verified with a load calculation you need a 2.5 ton condenser? A 1200 square foot house with new windows and insulation would probably would be fine with a 2 ton unit. You could put the saved money towards a better unit.

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

These are AC or Heat Pump condensers?

Post models. Both condensers include matching evap coil?

Furnace is conventional model or var speed model? If paired with air handler, is it conventional blower or var speed blower.

I would say a range of 7-10% savings. If you use $300 of cooling in summer, you could save $21-$30. As you can readily see, a very long payback based on the $800 upgrade price.

I do not care for Goodman though and would suggest spending a bit more on a better condenser. You need to understand the warranty though.

IMO

• energy_rater_la
    11 years ago

my question is why the lowest efficiency is consitered?
    meeting code only means that you have met the
    lowest standard allowable by law..its the least you can do.

I'd look at 14SEER & 15SEER prices as compared
    to 13SEER. and make sure that new ducts are
    mastic sealed. not foil tape, not duct tape but
    a mastic that will provide a long life seal.

best of luck.

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

I don't want to get off subject and certainly not disagreeing with my forum friend energy, but both dealers and manufacturers must do a better job in keeping upgrade prices in line with a reasonable payback.

What is a reasonable payback may differ from customer to customer. My idea at a minimum it should be less than 10 years.

I would say from the OP that this dealer failed to do this.

IMO

• mike_home
    11 years ago

Can you explain the difference in the warranty in the two Goodman units? It sounds like you are getting a better condenser for the extra $800. Is the air handler also being upgraded?

• ionized_gw
    10 years ago

When you wrote "going solar", what do you mean, PV, thermal for DHW, thermal for space heat? If PV, are you staying on the grid?

• countryboymo
    10 years ago

The 15 Seer will probably come with a txv valve and the 13 seer a piston orifice. The 15 seer will do much better removing humidity in my opinion. If I went with a 13 I would get a coil with a txv. So with the 15 and lower humidity levels a higher temp setting might allow the same comfort level which would save money also. I would say the 15 will be quieter also inside and outside since I doubt it is a builders grade unit.

Minimum 13 seer with matching coil that is a txv valve and if it is a heat pump add demand defrost to the list.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

For country

Be careful assuming anything with Goodman...

LOL...

IMO

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations