Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigred12_gw

Is this the right central air system and a fair quote

bigred12
9 years ago

Our house apx 2300 sq ft and we live in Long Island NY with humid summers. When we build the house 15 years ago we only installed the duct work and we are finally getting around to installing the central air unit. We got a few quotes. Is this a good system and a fair price.

$13,300 - $1,400 rebates from Lennox and our local electric.
It includes:
LENNOX - XC21-048-23 - SIGNATURE 4 TON 18 SEER 13.2 EER TWO STAGE
LENNOX - CBX32MV-048 - SIGNATURE SERIES 4 TON VARIABLE SPEED
Refrig Piping 60 - INSULATED COPPER REF PIPING 7/8 "AND 3/8"
60 - PVC DRAINS PIPING 3/4 INCH
1 - SHEET METAL EMERGENCY DRAIN PAN W/ SWITCH
12 - TRUNK DUCT AVG 16 X8X8 SEALED 3"WRAP
1 CENTRAL RETURN
14 - BRANCH SUPPLY RUN 3" CONNECTED TO EXISTING REGISTER
1 - 10F81 icomfort� Touch Communicating WIFI Thermostat

It does not include the electrical work.

Your input and advice is really appreciated!!!!

Comments (8)

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

This includes new ductwork system?

AHRI matching number...

5991265 Active Systems XC21 SERIES LENNOX INDUSTRIES, INC. XC21-048-230-10 CBX32MV-048*+TDR 1625 1145 49500 13.00 18.00 1 RCU-A-CB 341 Yes

This is a replacement AC system? If so, what size?

"It does not include the electrical work." What electrical is not included? Normally all electrical is included. You want to insist that everything is brought up to code.

For a house your size, I would want 2-3 central returns of course centrally located. One return is not enough for good airflow and comfort. I would also strongly recommend a filter media cabinet.

How do you heat now? What fuel?

Post back.

IMO

• bigred12
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi! Thanks for the quick response!

This quote does not include the duct work which was installed when the house was built in 2001. This is not a replacement unit - it is first time install. We have to hire a separate electrician to run the wire to the condenser. We do have 2 returns at the top of the stairs What is a filter media cabinet? We heat our house with baseboard - oil furnace.

Is this a good unit? Fair price? So hard to compare.

Thanks!

• mike_home
    9 years ago

The price seems high considering the duct work already exists. You need to get additional quotes.

Do you have access to natural gas? If you do then a better strategy would be to install a gas furnace at the same time. You would spend more money initially but you would greatly reduce your heating bill.

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

To be clear, you have oil fueled boiler not a furnace for baseboard hot water heat. Correct?

I will assume nat gas is not available for area you live. Correct?

What do you pay for electric, cost/delivered kwh? What did you pay for fuel oil this past winter?

I agree about the cost being high since ductwork is already installed.

In my area, dealer runs electrical for both thermostat and connection from condenser to air handler. You want this install to be at code including disconnect at condenser.

I do recommend a whole house filter cabinet for filtering your return air at air handler over 1" throwaway filters. Better filtering for both indoor air quality pls protection of evap coil and vs blower motor.

Was a load calc performed for correct sizing?

Post back.

IMO

• bigred12
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We have beckett oil burner and use about 900 gallons of oil a year at $3.79 a gallon. Natural gas is not available Electric is our area is high - 575 KWH at .0857 then the rest at .0787 plus power supply charges at .096130 per KWH. Yes a load calc was performed which did come in at 3.5 ton but this looked like a better unit - LENNOX - XC21-048-23 - SIGNATURE 4 TON 18 SEER 13.2 EER TWO STAGE . All the other quotes recommended 4 Ton.

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Assume the following:

Electric $0.18 KWH at 3.00 COP HP efficiency

Oil at $3.80/gal at 80% efficiency

Cost per 100,000 btu of useable heat

Heat pump: $1.76
    Oil: $3.44

Figures above as a guide only.

I would keep oil system but give a high eff HP a very hard look.

IMO

• mike_home
    9 years ago

I missed the the line about baseboard heating. This would imply heat is supplied by a boiler.

The heat pump would save a lot of money on heating. The oil burner could be the back up in a dual fuel system. The savings during the first winter should cover the additional cost of the heat pump versus AC only.

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Absolutely agree with Mike.

Preliminary info says a high eff HP would be a no brainer.

IMO