Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A/C placement

Posted by kentannenbaum (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 19, 12 at 8:03

We have an enclosed space under a staircase which borders an outside wall on one side and the living room on the other. There's a full height door to it.
I'd like to plumb an A/C through the exterior wall and duct it across the 3.5 ft width into the living room. Is there a reason to think it's a bad idea to have the A/C in the enclose space?

Thanks, Ken

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A/C placement

where will all the displaced heat go? have you talked with a contractor about this or did you purchase your own equipment? I wouldn,t imagine a contractor recommending a space like that for your unit. If he did time for a new one.

o

The A/C would be plumbed through an outside wall in the same way it would be mounted in a window. I guess my question has to do with whether ducting off the front of an A/C makes sense if the duct is running a short distance, about 4ft.

o

are you talking about a window unit?

o

Yes. A window unit I have not purchased yet. I installed an exterior door where one did not exist...which is more complicated then putting a sleeve through an exterior wall. Anyway, as I've thought about this, I've concluded that I've wasted a few people's time on the subject and apologize for that. Perhaps the inquiry will help others. Thanks very much.

o

The fan in a window unit is not designed to work through ANY duct.

They are designed for the intake filter and coil loss in the unit, and enough to then blow air a short distance into the room through the louvers on the unit.

o

When posting declare the type of equipment in the OP so we are not guessing as to what in the world you're talking about.

o

You could make something like this work with some flex duct and in-line blowers. The question is would it be worth it?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here