Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Outdoor stat why do I need one???

Posted by big_al_41 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 30, 12 at 7:41

Ok, I've seen many time here that one should think about an outdoor stat for their furnace etc ... my question is why?? I live in doors...LOL

I mean isn't my in door stat sensing what I need for heat where I actually live. Thanks please make it so a lay person will understand ..Thank You

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Outdoor stat why do I need one???

Usually used with heat pumps so tstat knows when to shut unit down outside and turn on heat strips or emergency heat.

o

Big al

Two major reasons come to mind.

1. If you have thermostat that has capability of displaying outside temperature at the thermostat.

2. Main reason though is for dual fuel application like heat pump with backup furnace. With the correct thermostat and outdoor sensor, homeowner can be in control of changeover point between HP and furnace.

Disagree with previous post. You don't want to disable a HP for electric heat strips unless it is a very low outside temperature. Most people run their HPs just fine without an outdoor sensor.

IMO

o

Some hydronic heat systems are set up to modulate the boiler set point with outdoor temp. OP wrote "furnace", but often that is used for boilers.

o

whaaat?

o

There are some thermostats which use the outdoor temperature to determine which stage of the furnace or AC/heat pump to use as part of the decision algorithm. You also may have options to lock out a low or high stage depending on the outside temperature.

o

tigerdunes,

Not disagreeing, just don't understand.

"Disagree with previous post. You don't want to disable a HP for electric heat strips unless it is a very low outside temperature."

o

OK Salti

You don't need an outdoor sensor on a traditional all electric HP system with air handler and backup heat strip for both supplemental heat, to temper air on a defrost all, and emergency heat when outside HP condenser as malfunctioned for whatever reason.

The only exception that I can think of is at extremely low outside temp where HP heat produced is less than a COP of 1. This means it is costing you more to run the HP condenser than the heat(BTUs) produced.

Hope this helps.

I generally agree with Mike's post although this gets into high end systems with high end controls that can do every thing but dance.

IMO

o

tigerdunes,

Got it! Tnx.

o

The outdoor unit is not a complete thermostat, but just a sensor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here