Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
big_al_41

Outdoor stat why do I need one???

big_al_41
12 years ago

Ok, I've seen many time here that one should think about an outdoor stat for their furnace etc ... my question is why?? I live in doors...LOL

I mean isn't my in door stat sensing what I need for heat where I actually live. Thanks please make it so a lay person will understand ..Thank You

Comments (9)

• heatseeker
    12 years ago

Usually used with heat pumps so tstat knows when to shut unit down outside and turn on heat strips or emergency heat.

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

Big al

Two major reasons come to mind.

1. If you have thermostat that has capability of displaying outside temperature at the thermostat.

2. Main reason though is for dual fuel application like heat pump with backup furnace. With the correct thermostat and outdoor sensor, homeowner can be in control of changeover point between HP and furnace.

Disagree with previous post. You don't want to disable a HP for electric heat strips unless it is a very low outside temperature. Most people run their HPs just fine without an outdoor sensor.

IMO

• ionized_gw
    12 years ago

Some hydronic heat systems are set up to modulate the boiler set point with outdoor temp. OP wrote "furnace", but often that is used for boilers.

• heatseeker
    12 years ago

whaaat?

• mike_home
    12 years ago

There are some thermostats which use the outdoor temperature to determine which stage of the furnace or AC/heat pump to use as part of the decision algorithm. You also may have options to lock out a low or high stage depending on the outside temperature.

• User
    12 years ago

tigerdunes,

Not disagreeing, just don't understand.

"Disagree with previous post. You don't want to disable a HP for electric heat strips unless it is a very low outside temperature."

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

OK Salti

You don't need an outdoor sensor on a traditional all electric HP system with air handler and backup heat strip for both supplemental heat, to temper air on a defrost all, and emergency heat when outside HP condenser as malfunctioned for whatever reason.

The only exception that I can think of is at extremely low outside temp where HP heat produced is less than a COP of 1. This means it is costing you more to run the HP condenser than the heat(BTUs) produced.

Hope this helps.

I generally agree with Mike's post although this gets into high end systems with high end controls that can do every thing but dance.

IMO

• User
    12 years ago

tigerdunes,

Got it! Tnx.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

The outdoor unit is not a complete thermostat, but just a sensor.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County