Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Register options

Posted by katiem (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 6, 12 at 7:31

We're building a house, and in the 2nd floor bedrooms, the vents will be on the ceiling. I don't like how regular registers just blow air, and and you freeze when the AC kicks on.

I asked the HVAC guy about register options. One is to use a bigger one, the other a curved blade register, and the last one a round diffuser.

Do round diffusers prevent the air from going straight out and disperse it more evenly? And does the air shoot downwards, or does it sort of stay up in the ceiling area?

What is the best option for a ceiling register/diffuser to disperse the air more evenly?

Thanks!
Katie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Register options

Katie,

I don't think the shape of the register to going to have much control once the air enters the room. Warm air will tend to rise tot he ceiling, cool air will fall to the floor.

I assume the HVAC system will be installed in the attic. What type of system is the contractor proposing? If comfort is important to you, then I suggest you get a 2-stage furnace and air conditioner. When operating in low stage the air flow is reduced. You will feel less of a draft effect.

o

Hi, Mike. The thing I don't like about ceiling registers is that the air directly hits you. I don't mind heat, but I hate how cold AC feels when it's blowing right at you. I would have to ask the contractor what type of furnace it is. So do you think having a round diffuser will somewhat disperse the air more so it's not blowing directly at you? Thanks!

o

I have not seen a round diffuser. Can you find a link to a picture?

I assume you are not going to install the register right above your bed. I agree that would be annoying. Try to install the registers in two far corners. I would also want to have dampers installed in the attic so you can control the air flow.

o

Please see the link for an example of a round diffuser. I have only seen it once when I was looking for a house last year.

Here is a link that might be useful: 8

o

I have two of the pictured diffusers in my basement - in a finished room with a suspended ceiling.

o

The round diffuser looks a small version of the big ceiling diffusers you would see in a commercial building. It will probably help and it looks nicer. I still think the placement is more important. I have sat in offices where the diffuser is directly over my head. Having air constantly blowing down on you is not very comfortable.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here