Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnamack_gw

American Standard or Trane?

donnamack
14 years ago

I've received quotes to replace 2 matched systems upstairs and downstairs (North Carolina home). Currently have Tranes that have lasted 15 years (with help the last 3 years).

Two contractors were very thorough (measured room by room and did load calculations, used software to match the systems, etc.). One recommended American Standard Allegiance, the other, Trane XR units. Stats below:

1)Upstairs: AS Allegiance 15 AC 2.0 Ton/XV 80 Gas Furnace

Furnace: AUD060R9V3 (variable speed/two stage)

A/C: 4A7A5024E1

Coil: 4TXCB032BC

Thermostat: XL802 (does this have humidity control)

New lines

SEER/EER/AFUE: 16.00/13.0/80%

$5,550 after $500 rebate. Additional $475 to extend labor warranty from 1 year to 10 years.

Downstairs: AS Allegiance 15 AC 2.5 Ton/XV95 Gas Furnace

Furnace: AUH2B060A9V3 (Var speed/two stage)

A/C: 4A7A5030E1

Thermostat: XL802

New lines

SEER/EER/AFUE: 15.00/12.5/96.7%

$6395 after rebate, $475 to extend warranty as above.

Full payment upon completion. (Total for both: $11,945)

My house is 2600 square feet transitional (high ceilings, loft...)

2) Trane XR15 AC 2.0 Ton XV80 Gas Furnace 16.00/13.0/80%

Furnace: TUD060R9V3

A/C: 4TTR5024E1

Cost: $6150 / Upstairs /$475 to extend warranty as above.

Trane XR13 A/C 2.5 Ton XR95 Gas Furnace 13.00/11.00/95%

Furnace: TUH1B060A936

A/C: 4TTR3030A1

Thermostat: XL800

Cost: $5250 Downstairs ($11,400 total for both)

OR: Trane XL15i 2.0 ton/XV80 Upstairs

Trane XL15i 2.5 ton/XV95 Downstairs

10 year parts, 2 years labor COST: $13,900.00

25% up front, 75% upon completion.

OMG! I know Trane is made by American Standard. Is there a big difference between efficiency/quality of these systems? I'm comfortable with both of these contractors, but I am no expert in AC/furnaces. Both have excellent references and stress proper installation by qualified installers. Do these prices look reasonable? I'm looking for validation/guidance from the HVAC crowd. Can you help me? Sorry for the length, I've been reading posts and it seems the more information people provide, the better the help!

Donna M.

Raleigh, NC

Comments (31)

• ryanhughes
    14 years ago

You are correct that both systems are mechanically identical and would perform great if installed correctly by competent installers. The prices you received are reasonable for two complete system replacements. I'm glad to see that each dealer took the time to size and design the equipment the right way. I would not consider the XL15i option for that much more, since it's performance is right on par with the XR15, though it may be a bit quieter. I think you'll see that both systems come with 10 year warranties.

The XL802 thermostat does not do humidity control. There are thermostats that do. The furnace however can be setup to run a slow ramp profile when it starts up to pull out humidity. Properly sized equipment does a fine job at controlling humidity, but if you desire more control, you can request Honeywell IAQ thermostats. These are a bit more tricky to setup. I personally would see how the systems do without them before I considered the step up.

What size systems did you have in place before? If they were oversized, the correctly sized systems will provide more comfort on their own merit.

Have you considered a humidifier for the downstairs unit?

I know I haven't helped your decision much, but hope I gave you a bit more confidence in choosing their one. They really are great systems with essentially the same backbone components. Decision may come down to price or what dealer you know for a fact will do the better job.

• tigerdunes
    14 years ago

donna

all good equipment. you want to be certain to take advantage of at least one of the systems-upstairs or downstairs to qualify for fed govt tax credit.

what size systems are you replacing?

there are some differences between the Trane and AmStd quotes. let me detail those differences.

1.The Allegiance 15 AmStd condenser would favorably compare to Trane's XR15 or XL15i. The major difference here would be the outside cabinetry and Trane's proprietary top on the XL15i. I would expect the Allegiance 15 to be a little quieter than the XR15. Just FYI, Trane's XR15 condenser line was introduced primarily because Trane was geeting slammed on tax credit qualifying condensers. In fact, they still are behind the curve.

The XR13 Trane condenser quoted for downstairs is not as desireable as the AmStd Allegiance 15.

2.The furnaces for the downstairs systems are different. The AS quote is for the XV95 equivalent. The Trane quote while high efficient is for the XR95, not as nice as the two stg VS XV95.

I personally like the AmStd quote better. Two suggestions. It would be a shame to not take advantage of NC's reasonable electric rate with high eff heat pumps paired with XV80 furnaces(dual fuel). And two, you want the 803 thermostat or even better would be HW VP IAQ stat that has "dehumidify on demand" feature.

when I have time, I will check the evap coils to see if those are the best matched.

what are you doing for air filter cabinets?

IMO
    Good Luck!

• ryanhughes
    14 years ago

I didn't catch the fact that the downstairs quote was not variable speed and with the XR15. In that case, the American Standard quote is far better in my mind. I would get the Trane quote to include the XR15 and XV95 downstairs to match the American Standard quote.

• tigerdunes
    14 years ago

donna

one more thought on the Trane quote.

$2500 to upgrade the XR13 and XR15 condensers to the XL15i
    is absolutely ridiculous. While I like Trane, I would not waste anymore time with that dealer.

what say u Ryan?

IMO

• ryanhughes
    14 years ago

I agree the upgrade price is not worth it. The XL15i is a nice unit, but you just don't get that much more for that kind of price increase. I like the American Standard quote. American Standard is solid equipment that I don't often see in houses due to Trane being the more predominant name, but it is good equipment nonetheless. Unless the Trane dealer is willing to match his proposal to the American Standard dealer's, I'd pursue the American Standard option.

• donnamack
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you SO much Ryan and IMO! You have no idea how much you've eased my mind about this decision. We were leaning toward the American Standard proposal by a company that has come highly recommended by two sources.

I am replacing the same sizes -- 2.0 ton up, 2.5 ton down. We received 5 quotes, all agreed the sizes were correct. The three who did load calculations agreed as well.

Ryan, I hadn't considered the humidifier downstairs. What is the advantage? (for Winter/heat, because it does get dry in here in the winter, or for summer?) We have a walk in crawl space under the house (where the downstairs unit is) and the humidity there is measured at 16% -- I've been told that's low.

NC can get very hot and humid, but we've never had a humidity problem in the house during the summer and certainly not in the winter with the Trane systems we are replacing. Do you still think it's a good idea to ask our contractor to install the HW VP IAQ thermostats (even if there is a cost involved)? The XL 802's are included at no additional cost (or cost has been rolled in!).

The AS proposal upstairs unit (Allegiance 15 AC paired with XV80 Furnace (variable speed) -- 16.00/13.00/80%) does qualify for the federal tax credit. Both systems (ACs and furnaces) qualify for $300 and $100.00 energy company credits (electric and gas), respectively ($800).

Do you think I should pay to extend the service warranties on both systems from 1 year to 10 years at a cost of $475 each?? I'm tempted as I'm familiar with what it has cost us to keep the downstairs AC running for the past 3 years (though we've never needed to repair the upstairs) and the warranty is transferable.

About air filter cabinets. I can get the AS Perfect Fit 5" Media Air Cleaner (which needs to be replaced 1X a year at ?? cost) for an additional cost of $275 for each unit. Do you think I need this? I currently replace my filters 4 times a year with 3M allergy (purple) pleated filters, which cost me $240/year. Am I saving the expense of the house filters if I get the system filters?

Again, thank you so much for your guidance.

Donna
    Raleigh, NC

• ryanhughes
    14 years ago

Hi Donna,

The humidifier adds a sense of warmth to the air during the winter time, and makes it more comfortable, often allowing you to set your thermostat lower. Not all houses need them if they are "tight" enough in terms of insulation and construction. However, if you ask your dealer about one, it may not be a bad move. I would suspect a total install add-on cost of around $500. This is completely up to you, though. You do mention dryness during the winter. It would really only be needed on one system, the downstairs one.

As for the thermostat, first ask your dealer if they are familiar with the VisionPRO IAQ. It's not setup in a way that most thermostats are since there is a separate module mounted near the unit, but if you go with the humidifier, it is a very good thermostat to have since it alone can control humidity as well as dehumidficiation with the variable speed blower in the summer. Your dealer can explain the benefits of it to you. The 803 thermostat can only overcool to dehumidify, whereas the IAQ from Honeywell can control blower speed to suck out more moisture. If your dealer isn't familiar with the thermostat, not a big issue; you can still get the 803 thermostat and the humidifier can be controlled independently. This is probably how it's done more often anyways.

I do like the idea of an extended labor warranty simply because labor costs get very expensive, and if something goes wrong during the 9th year, could easily pay for itself. You'll have to way the costs and benefits. Equipment today isn't built like it used to be, but I still think you'll get at least 10 years out of this American Standard equipment (my opinion).

The Perfect Fit filter is a good media filter, but the filters themselves can be more expensive than say a Honeywell branded filter. Honeywell makes a 4" media filter cabinet similar to the PerfectFit; model is the F100. This provides for better filtration and is generally replaced once per year (2x per year if lots of dust/pets). Either way, I would not recommend using the 3M filters anymore. They are restrictive to airflow compared to most, and more expensive than standard pleated filters. They attract many homeowners at Home Depot.

• donnamack
    Original Author
    14 years ago

First, forgot to address IMO's question about a heat pump. The AS quote did offer an option for a HP for the downstairs. I don't like HPs so I didn't include it. If there is a compelling reason to consider a HP -- increased efficiency, comfort, affordability, cost savings, then I'm willing to consider the option. Here is the suggested system specs. (This would replace the Allegiance 15 AC, 2.5 ton/XV95 Gas Furnace downstairs.)

AS Heritage 13 H.P., 2.5 ton/XR95 Gas Furnace (Duel fuel heating, Heat Pump & Gas)
    Furnace: AUH1B060A936
    A/C: 4A6H3030A1
    New refrigerant lines
    Cost $5,675
    Does NOT qualify for Fed tax credit (but upstairs does) or energy company credits of $400.

Now you have ALL the information. Thanks for your opinions and guidance. Ryan, feel free to comment, too!

Ryan, about your questions. Our downstairs always feels cold and dry in the winter, even when the thermostat says 72, so your description of the benefits of a humidifier on the downstairs system sounds like a VERY good idea to me. I will talk to our contractor about it tomorrow. I'll also ask about the HW VP IAQ thermostat, especially if we go with the humidifier.

I will ask about the Honeywell filter cabinet you mentioned in place of the AS Perfect Fit. Should the cost be about the same? Thanks for the advice about the 3M filters. I will be happy to stop purchasing those! (Although our vents are very clean from using them.)

Thanks again to you both.

Donna
    Raleigh, NC

• ryanhughes
    14 years ago

A heat pump is not a bad idea because it gives you flexibility with fluctuating utility costs and is efficient to operate during milder weather (which I know is common in Raleigh). During the colder nights, the gas furnace will heat with warmer air. I would still stay with 15 SEER, however, and not drop efficiency during the cooling season. Up to you. Some people don't like heat pumps because their air produced isn't as warm as furnaces, but they have improved. Also, the VisionPRO IAQ thermostat is a very good one to control a dual fuel system. Seems this thermostat does everything. :)

The Honeywell filter will probably be the same cost as the Trane filter. At $275 doesn't sound like they're charging much if anything over labor and material costs for that add-on, which is nice. I would just bring up the idea of replacement filters for the Perfect Fit being your concern. They aren't filters you can buy at Home Depot, whereas I have seen Honeywell 4" filters at Home Depot.

And I do like the idea of the humidifier as well. I personally do not have one but wish I did.

Let us know what the dealer says, and post back with any questions/concerns.

• donnamack
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We moved from San Diego to VA then NC. Our first two houses had heat pumps. I was freezing all the time in fall and winter and there was NEVER warm air coming out of the registers. I like the cozy warmth of a gas furnace. My husband says I worship the heater. So it's hard for me to consider a H.P. Our summer utility bills fell 20% when we put a ridge vent on our home with the new roof 2 years ago. Summer cooling isn't unreasonable, even when we have unrelenting temperatures. Are heat pumps much more efficient than the AC/furnace systems (I'll ask about SEER 15 system)? I'm going to be so disappointed if my HVAC company won't go for the VisionPRO IAQ. You now have me really wanting one. BAD.

I will bring up the replacement cost of Perfect Fit filters/vs. Honeywell. And the HW VP IAQ. And the humidifier for the downstairs system. Thank you for all the help. I'll let you know what our HVAC dealer says after I speak with him tomorrow.

Donna

• ryanhughes
    14 years ago

So you have a little more info when you speak with the dealer:

First, don't let him say the 802 thermostat and the IAQ are the same. They look the same, but the IAQ does more. Here are the reasons you should relay to him:

1. The IAQ has dehumidification "dry contact" terminals in the interface that are wired to the furnace (easily explained in the installation manual). This means you won't have to worry about Comfort-R on the furnace, which is American Standard/Trane's slow ramp up profile. You will only be dehumidifying (lower airflow) when the thermostat senses a need, which is more efficient and more logical.

2. The IAQ handles a humidifier similarly, so basically all your system is controlled from one central location.

3. If you chose the heat pump, the IAQ can control the dual fuel system and stage the backup heat as needed to supplement the heat pump.

On the heat pump concern, the heat pump air will be warmer during the milder weather than what you remembered during the cold weather. You can have the furnace come on at say 35 degrees, for instance, so that the air is warmer when typically the heat pump would start losing its "warmness." -- Hope that makes sense. Completely up to you once you weight the costs/benefits. Heat pumps also have more operating hours than air conditioners, so take that as you wish.

Look forward to hearing what this dealer has to be. If you don't get the IAQ thermostat, your system is still a great one, and humidity likely won't be an issue with properly sized systems and the Comfort-R feature of the furnace (if enabled). If I didn't think you were dealing with a competent company, I wouldn't have recommended the IAQ thermostats, for fear that the installers won't read the manual and will set it up wrong.

Good luck.

• donnamack
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gosh Ryan. Thank you SO much. I feel loaded for BEAR! Even though my guy is at sea, I feel more and more confident to get this thing done -- Right. I'm so glad I found this forum and thank you again, and again for all your time and help.

Okay. Are you an H.P. person? I feel like I'm being lured to the "dark side." :) Is "more operating hours" a good thing or a bad thing? We had our HVAC company work up an option for an H.P., but I haven't really discussed the advantages (or disadvantages) with him. Do you like the AS Heritage 15 or 16 (a two-stage I think)? My quote was for the 13. The 15 or 16 would probably bring the price close to the quote for downstairs 15 AC/XV95 system. I'll see what he has to say about it tomorrow.

The H.P is all electric with furnace backup right? As our electric rates are better than natural gas (which for now is less, but can be very high) a heat pump would be cheaper to run all year around (as it would be running all year around)? Is that your point?

Donna

• tigerdunes
    14 years ago

donna

First of all, your AmStd dealer has speced your HVAC very well.

1.if humidity control has not been an issue, then I still would ask for and insist on the 803 stat over the 802. dealer should absorb any cost difference.

2.the Perfect Fit media cabinets fit the furnace like a glove. I have the same. It takes about one minute to replace. No tools are required. Filters usually last at least a year. Cost for OEM filter around $60, generics available under $40.you have been offered a very fair cost on these media filters and while the Honeywell is nice, I would go with the AmStd Perfect Fit. Filters are readily available over internet.

3.Ext warranty usually cost around 10% per installed system. I have the same. Never used it as of yet on my 5 yr old system. The price quoted is fair. Up to you.

4.humidifier is more about people comfort and to provide good environment for furniture and hardwood floors. winter range is 35-40% RH. If you don't have static electricity and/or other issues, you might not need one. If you decide on the humidifier for downstairs, then I would suggest the HW VP IAQ stat since it can handle the humidifier. Then place the 803 on upstairs system. A good compromise.

Stick with either the AmStd Allegiance 15 AC or Heritage 15 Heat pump. excellent equipment. You are not giving up a thing by going with American Standard.

On the question about heat pumps, I like them for the Southeast area because it allows you to leveredge reasonable electric rates into improved operating costs. Since you live in NC, I am certain your average winter temp is above 35 degrees which is perfect for heat pumps. That's up to you. If you are unsure about them, then forget and stick with nat gas/straight AC systems.

IMO
    Good Luck!

• ryanhughes
    14 years ago

Tiger has pretty much said what I would say. I prefer the Heritage 15 over the 16, for both cost reasons and the fact that the 2-stage performance of the 16 isn't all that impressive (one thing being that the difference between high and low stage isn't that considerable). I have a heat pump myself, and it does a great job. I wish I had gas heat for the colder days, but gas is not available, and the heat pump has always kept the home at the temperature setpoint. Up to you here, but I think the heat pump could save you some money on gas in the winter months and provide warmer heat during the colder months. For upstairs, heating is less of a concern and a straight heat pump may be a good option. If you do decide against a heat pump, no problem at all--the gas and a/c is still a fine choice especially since you are getting a high efficiency furnace downstairs. When I say the heat pump has more operating hours, I mean that in general a/c units will last a few years longer because they have less wear and tear. This isn't always the case and is just something to consider.

• donnamack
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am going to add a humidifier on the downstairs unit. We have static electricity. We have hardwoods throughout the downstairs and in the family room and to a lesser degree, the kitchen (both are above the high side of the walk in crawl space) they contract quite a bit in winter, I'm assuming because all that cold air is under them (even with insulation) and those rooms always feels very cold. I bet a humidifier would help quite a bit. With a humidifier, I'll try to get the Honeywell VP IAQ. I'll mention the 803 over the 802 for upstairs too.

I'll talk with our company about the H.P. and get his opinion. I'll post back after my conversation. I'm about ready to sign a contract!

I'll probably extend the service warranties, even though we had no trouble with either of our existing systems in the first 10 years. But this is 2010, not 1995. We're now in the era of appliance replacement every 3-5 years (our economy depends on it!) and I don't know that things are built to last anymore. It may be worth the added insurance.

Thank you both!

Donna

• tigerdunes
    14 years ago

donna

one more thought. when homeowners are updating and replacing HVAC, I always recommend that ductwork systems be thoroughly inspected.

any hot/cold spot issues in home should be addressed and corrected.

there are three parts to a successful new system for owner satisfaction.

good quality HVAC equipment, dealer install, and the most overlooked is a good ductwork system.

IMO

• donnamack
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Talked with our dealer. He did try to tell me the 802 thermostat is almost the same as the HW VP IAQ except for dehumidification (pretty important in humid NC). I gave him the reasons I felt it was better that you provided Ryan. Thank you SO much! He had to conclude that it was better for our system, but the 802 was good as well. I asked if I could have it anyway. I can upgrade to the IAQ for downstairs and 803 upstairs for the difference in prices of those thermostats vs. 802. I'm waiting for actual cost.

I'm becoming more comfortable with the idea of a heat pump. The Heritage 15 with XV95 gas furnace (duel fuel). My dealer is a BIG fan of this system. Thinks it absolutely the most efficient, cost saving system for my area. Paired with your comments, that's about enough for me. I'm waiting for a quote. I'll post the specs when I get them this weekend.

I have another choice for the media filters. A Clean Effects system where you don't replace the filters, you vacuum them once a year. Of course, upgrading to this costs $1,150 PER unit!! We may be in this house for only 5 years, I don't think this will pay for itself by then. He says with Perfect Fit, we'll only need to use the cheap blue filters. Will that keep our vents clean (our vents look new from using the 3M purples)?

Also, to add a humidifier downstairs -- the Honeywell Tru Steam (which includes the HW VP IAQ) would cost an addition $1495.00! Does this sound right?

He says I may not need the humidifier if I go with a H.P. as it doesn't dry the air as much as a furnace alone.

What do you think?

Thanks!

Donna

• ryanhughes
    14 years ago

If you go with the heat pump downstairs, since your temperatures generally stay mild within range for a heat pump to control most of the heat, you can step down to an 80% variable speed furnace downstairs.

The CleanEffects will likely involve more than vacuuming once a year. I've heard some say every 2-4 months, depending on the house, the system should be cleaned. Given the upfront price, the CleanEffects aren't generally recommended along with the fact that the maintenance is much more involved than is advertised. It is a good air cleaner though.

I'm not sure why with the Perfect Fit he would suggest using the cheap blue filters. You don't need any other filters if you use the Perfect Fit, which is the whole purpose. It's a whole-house air cleaner.

The TrueSteam is expensive but a good steam humidifier. I was thinking more along the lines of the AprilAire 600 or 700 series. I don't think you need the steam unit. Sounds like he's getting you with the upgrade cost on that, although there is labor and materials involved and they have to make some money somewhere. :)

To sum things up a bit, here's what I'd like to see for your house, if I were doing this:

Downstairs:
    Heritage 15 heat pump
    Freedom 80 Variable Speed furnace (same as XV80 but XV80 is what Trane calls it)
    Matching indoor coil
    Aprilaire 600 or 700 humidifier
    Honeywell VP IAQ thermostat (configured to control everything, including dehum.)
    Perfect Fit or Honeywell F100 media cleaner

Upstairs:
    Allegiance 15 air conditioner
    Freedom 80 Variable Speed furnace
    Matching indoor coil
    Honeywell VP IAQ thermostat
    Perfect Fit or F100 media cleaner

Couple notes on the downstairs system: I still like the IAQ thermostat for upstairs because humidity control is important throughout the whole house, especially upstairs where I'm assuming the bedrooms are. I can't imagine the upgrade price for system to be more than $100 (give/take) per stat. Otherwise seems like he's trying to get you to go with something less. Also, have you considered just a straight heat pump for upstairs? You may want to keep gas up there since you have a gas line leading to the attic I assume, but a heat pump will more than adequately be able to heat the upstairs level, assuming your house plan allows that most heat rises to the upstairs anyways.

• donnamack
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the update Ryan. I got the updated quote for a heat pump downstairs with the XV95 gas furnace. I was NOT expecting it to be MORE than the Allegiance 15 AC/XV95 Gas Furnace! But, of course, it is. Should I have expected that to be the case?

Heritage 15 H.P., 2.5 ton, XV95 Gas Furnace
    15/12.5/95% (SEER/EER/AFUE)
    Furnace: AUH2B060A9V3
    A/C: 4A6H5030E1
    Coil: 4TXCB003CC
    Thermostat still XL802 on this proposal (he knows I want to upgrade, but there is no upgrade price on here).

Total price: $7050 (after $500 instant rebate from A.S.)

Total price on 15AC/XV95 furnace was: $6395

I noticed you think an 80% variable furnace is okay downstairs. I'm not sure. We have more square footage downstairs including the master bed and bath, 2nd bath, lr, dr, kitchen, laundry room. The upstairs has 2 bedrooms, 1 bath, loft (openly connected to downstairs on 2 sides, a room over the garage that is impossible to heat/cool perfectly as it is surrounded on all sides (floor and ceiling too) by an outside wall except the for loft/bedroom wall on one side. I want to make sure all that downstairs space is WARM. We spend most of our time down there!

So what do you think of the price?

Also, A.S. AccuClean Whole House aircleaner w/10 years Electronics/5 year parts warranty is $1,150 per system, or $1,000 per system if we install it on BOTH units. I'm not sold on these filters, what about you?

Thanks again,

Donna

• tigerdunes
    14 years ago

donna

I have never been a fan of EACs like the CleanEffects because of price, routine maintenance issues. The exception might be a person or family who have allergies or perhaps other medical conditions that might benefit from an EAC. I personally believe the Perfect Fit Media cabinet that you were quoted is more than adequate for over 99.9% of homes/homeowners. That would be my choice and you were quoted a very reasonable price.

for your downstairs system, I would go with XV95 and straight AC condenser Allegiance 15. Other choice would be XV80 furnace with Heritage 15 heat pump. A high eff heat pump with the XV95 furnace is simply overkill for your area/climate. Why? Because you would rarely use the furnace except on those cold days below freezing.

If you do plan on the humidifier for downstairs system, then yes you want the HW VisionPro IAQ. if no humidifier, then the 803. Don't know why dealer is being so fussy and bullheaded about that.

upstairs system can be any of the following:
    1.Heritage 15 heat pump with VS air handler and backup electric heat
    2.Heritage 15 heat pump with XV80 VS gas furnace
    3.Allegiance 15 straight AC with XV80 VS gas furnace.

the heat pump is your call depending on what you are comfortable with along with any budget considerations.

you have very good alternatives/options that are available to you.

as stated previously you live in a heat pump climate and it allows you to leveredge reasonable electric rate into improved operating costs. are they necessary? a flat out no if you want to go all nat gas for winter heating.

ask dealer to evaluate your FROG-finished room over garage-as far as cooling and heating issues.these type rooms are notorious for poor comfort issues. usually not enough CFMs due to bad ductwork sizing/design and/or insulation.

Don't mean to confuse you.

Let us know how we can help.

IMO

• neohioheatpump
    14 years ago

That seems reasonable to me. For the extra money your spending you'll have the flexibility of having a heatpump which should serve you very well considering your climate.

I think for upstairs you can probably save some money and instead of having central-ac with a gas furnace you could have heat pump with electric strip backup.

You will still have the gas backup furnace downstairs for when it gets really cold. The upstairs probably requires less heating load thats why you probably don't need the gas as much for up their.

I would personally rather be a little under-sized because that means your correctly sized 95% of the year and a little undersized 10 days of the year. When I mean undersized, I'm talking about not having a gas furnace for upstairs.

• donnamack
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm going with the Perfect Fit. I don't think the AccuClean is worth the extra cost.

Tiger, do you really think the XV80 is enough for 2000 sq. feet? We had a surprising number of nights in the teens last winter and days in the 20s. And our house is by no means air tight! But I really like the idea of a heat pump now, as natural gas prices are beginning to climb and I imagine a h.p. system will be far more efficient to run.

If I get the heat pump, I may pass on the humidifier. I want the system to be comfortable, but the add ons are killing me! I was more than ready to spend mid-$12K but we're almost at the $14K mark, a homeowner has to draw the line somewhere! I'm pushing for the XL803's at no additional cost. I don't know what the big deal is either. Maybe the company is getting the 802s free.

I'll check on the Heritage 15 for upstairs, too. Is it normal for the Heritage 15 to be more than the Allegiance 15?

Thanks again all who are taking time to help me. You're great!

Donna

• ryanhughes
    14 years ago

Yes, the Heritage 15 costs more money for the dealer to purchase than the Allegiance 15 because of the extra controls/components associated with a heat pump system. Since you have a gas line run upstairs already, I would stick with gas heat and air conditioning upstairs, and put the 80% furnace as tiger mentioned with the heat pump downstairs. I agree that a top-efficiency furnace in your mild climate, when paired with a heat pump, isn't worth the added cost. The 95% furnace requires PVC venting out the side of your house as well, another cost factored into the total.

If you don't get a humidifier, the 803s are fine and probably thermostats the company is more familiar with. You can still get a humidifier even with the 803 thermostats, however. I don't think having a heat pump makes a humidifier any less necessary, in my opinion. Many homes have humidifiers and heat pumps. You can try without first, and if the air is really dry, one can always be added later. I agree, the upfront cost is a lot, but they are quoting you one of the most expensive models. Ask for what is called a bypass or flow-through humidifier. Aprilaire model 600 or American Standard part number AHUMD300 (same thing different look from what I gather).

• bcreech
    14 years ago

Hi Donna,
    I tried to send you an email directly, but your account is not setup to receive emails. I too live in Raleigh, NC. I have just begun to get quotes to replace two 24 year old systems. I was looking to use Trane, but have also been investigating American Standard. I would like to know the two contractors you have received your quotes from. I need to get more quotes, only have one quote for Tran at this time. Please email me directly. Thanks!!

• bcreech
    14 years ago

Donna please email me directly at bcreech@yahoo.com if you see this. I would like to get the two hvac contractors who gave your quotes.

Thanks!

• donnamack
    Original Author
    13 years ago

bcreech, I sent you an email. Let me know if you received it.

Ryan and Tiger -- Hi guys. Been out of town for a couple of weeks. I have one more meeting with my HVAC guy to discuss XV80 instead of XV95 matched with the Heritage 15 H.P. for downstairs, and the AprilAire 600 or 700 humidifier. I'll let you know what the final decision is.... you deserve it, all the help you've given me this month! I'll post again soon.

Donna

• tigerdunes
    13 years ago

donna

what is upcharge from the XV80 to XV95? for your location/climate, the XV95 with HP is overkill.

weigh the XV80 with Heritage 15 HP vs XV95 with Allegiance 15 straight AC. my choice would be XV80 with Heritage 15 HP.

post back.

IMO

• donnamack
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ryanhughes and tigerdunes! Hi guys.

Finally, install is on the horizon. Right after Memorial day.

Yes, I am going with the Heritage 15 HP with XV80 furnace.

Yes, I am getting the AS Perfect Fit 5" media air cleaner (the filters are even sold on Amazon for a reasonable price). I almost got talked into the Accu-Clean until I was told I needed to vacuum the cells once a year (this is UNDER the house in the crawlspace). Also the cleaner is electical and pretty expensive! No thanks!!

YES, I am getting the Honeywell VP IAQ on the downstairs unit (biggest unit) with the Heritage 15 H.P./XV80 furnace system.

Upstairs we'll get the XL 803.

Drove a hard bargain here, but got a good system at a fair price with the help of you guys and I'm VERY grateful.

ONE MORE QUESTION....

If given the option to have both systems installed by two crews in one day (one in attic, one under the house) or one system a day over two days, which way would you choose? Which way do you think is the best, most efficient and has the highest probability of being done CORRECTLY? Or do you have confidence in both installation options.

Thanks for all your help.

Donna

• ryanhughes
    13 years ago

Are they putting a humidifier downstairs to go with the IAQ, or are you just going to see how you do without for now? While I'm sure you don't want to change anything about the contract at this point, I do think the upstairs would benefit as well from an IAQ thermostat if the installers know how to wire them to dehumidify by dropping the blower speed (they just need to read the instructions and wire accordingly). This is a feature you'll want to make sure is done correctly. So if you can, see about getting IAQ's up and down. Otherwise, all looks good.

As far as installation...I'm not sure to tell you the truth. Four or five guys doing two systems would mean more available help if they need it for downstairs (for instance) while another 1-2 guys work upstairs doing minor things. Then again, that's a lot of work, and you want them to take their time, so maybe two days would be best. Did your dealer give you the option? We'll see what others think here. I'd ask your dealers what the installers feel most comfortable in doing.

• tigerdunes
    13 years ago

donna

I personally would prefer the install by their same best crew over the time needed to install both systems.

and thanks for the update. good equipment. keep us posted.

IMO

• hung
    13 years ago

Here is what I recently got quote for a Trane XR15 System in TX.

Cond: 4TTR5024E1
    Evap: 4TXCB025BC3
    Furac: TUD1A040A9H2

Includes labor, new supply plenum, thermostate... $4420. I have been told that it is a certified tax credit. So, I can get around $1200 tax credit. I currently have 2.5 ton 10 SEER 14 years old Bryant. Should I go for this new Trane which only has 2 ton but with 15-16 SEER rating? Or should I ask for 3 ton?