Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fintry_gw

New Furnace or Solar Panels

fintry
11 years ago

I live in Nevada. My house is a 3,000 sqft, one story; and I have 2 furnace systems. I need help which way to go:

I was informed, in October 2012, that the furnace blower motor is over heating and there is a small crack on the heating exchange. I was given the following option:

1) Replace blower motor on furnace and run new la politon (don't know what this means) for $575.

2) Replace furnace with new goodman new b-vent, new gas flex valve, new electrical whip, reseal oil connection unit, 10 years part and labaor warranty for $3,900.

3) New 14 seer Amana condenser 410A refrigerant, new furnace Amana, new evap coil, new U.V lign lamp, new pro 8000 Honeywell thermostat, new permit inspection, new b-vent exhaust, new gas flex valve, new electrical 100% satisfaction, 10 year part/labor warranty for $8,500.

During the course of our conversation, I told the supervisor who came to the house to explain that I prefer Trane. The supervisor said that they could give it to me for the same price; but I did not ask for the specifics because I seem not to be interested at that time.

As you can see above, I was not given the model number of Amana except that it's 14 seers and R410A.

It was in October 2012 yet; and so far nothing happened. My husband and I thought that we will just wait until the system breaks down and then do something. I have not got other estimates and recently, someone I met who is a plumber told me that it's not advisable to wait until it breaks down because we will be getting a high estimate. Hence, I went online and happened to see this forum.

You guys, have interesting input/comments that I really appreciate. Hence, I would like to seek advise/comments which way to go.

First, shall I ignore the small crack on the heat exchanger? Is this safe, health wise? What about the blower motor we were told that it was overheating? So far nothing happened.

Secondly, a neighbor recently came to my house introducing to me about installing the solar panels. She said that they are doing it on their house and the net cost to them is $25,000 and that their monthly electric bill will be $10 monthly. Our average yearly bill on electric is $2,000.00. The house is built in dual pane and construction materials that will save us on electric and gas bills. Hence, our electric bill is not too high compared to when we were in NJ, and besides, I don't like it very cold during summer. Hence, our a/c is set at 80 degrees considering that the house has dual pane windows and built of construction materials that is not too hot inside the house during summer because Las Vegas goes up to 118 degrees during summer. If we are convinced to put solar panels, do I still need to get the 14 seers R410A. My understanding is that the higher the seer, the least costly is my electric bill. In case, we choose to get the solar panel, what difference will it make getting a 14 seer R410A or higher? If there is small crack on the heat exchanger, I think, we still need to replace something.

Do we really need the solar panels?

I would appreciate very much advise/comments.

Thank you.

Comments (4)

• david_cary
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Do we really need the solar panels?
    Of course not. Is is a good investment? - depends. I would be skeptical of any and all estimates in savings by salesman. If you told me your neighbors had a 25k system installed and now pay $2000 less per year - that would mean a lot more.

I am installing a 6.4kw system with a net cost of $7k or so and that should save about $700 a year. To save $2k a year (with 10 cent/kwh), you would need at least 13kw system (I am giving you a lot on efficiency based on Nevada sun). A 13kw system is pretty big and you need a pretty big roof - that is 52 panels.

Generally - it is a more efficient use of dollars to replace an old a/c system. But you didn't give any info on what your system is now - is it 20 years old?

And of course, the furnace decision has nothing to do with the solar panels. It does sound like piece of mind etc would favor replacing the furnace(s?).

• mike_home
    11 years ago

The nice thing about having two furnaces is if one breaks down, the other can keep the house warm enough while you shop for a new furnace. I am not suggesting you wait until the furnace completely fails, but you don't have to panic in the event it does.

A cracked heat exchanger is a serious issue. Have you gotten anyone else to confirm the heat exchanger is actually cracked. I am suspicious of an HVAC company which discovers a crack, but proposes leaving it and replacing the blower motor because it is overheating.

All AC condensers sold in the US by law must have a SEER rating of at least 13. A SEER rating of 14 is about 7% more efficient. The savings in electricity will be hardly noticeable.

Solar panels may be a good investment if you have high electricity rates like I do in NJ, consume a lot of electricity, and plan to live in the house for many years. Some of my neighbors have installed panels. I personally feel it ruins to look of the house.

• energy_rater_la
    11 years ago

just for thought...
    there is a solar installer locally that wanted me to work with them. energy rating with solar install. problem for me was that they want to size solar panels prior to any energy efficiency upgrades are done. simple things like sealing air leakage into the house, and duct leakage of hvac system are fast payback, improvements that save money on utility bills. not being able to do the work prior to sizing solar panels is why we don't work with each other.

lots of states have great solar incentives now, but improving the efficiency of the home would come first...then size for solar system. I've yet to see anyone
    pay only $10.00 per month unless house was built passive solar.

cracked heat exchanger isn't anything to mess around with.

do some reasearch before making puchases.

best of luck.

• fintry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I refer to the post of david_cary wherein you’re talking about 6.4kw system that you’re installing with a savings of $700/year. Forgive me but I’m novice when it comes to cooling and heating or solar. May I ask if the 6.4kw system is a solar panel system? I figure it is since you mention about a 13kw system would need 52 panels. If this is so, it gives me an idea what to ask when the solar engineer guy will visit me to discuss about installing solar panels. Nevada has a good incentive on solar panels. The $25k net that my neighbor is paying for their solar panels is already net of the Nevada incentive.

The old a/c that I have is 11 years old and the brand is York. The smaller one I know is 4 ton. However, I don’t know the bigger one. By the way, my electrict bill of $2,000/year includes the swimming pool and spa filter pump that runs 12 hours/day throughout the year. Hence, I thought, I don’t spend on electricity as much as I did when I was in NJ. With solar system, an electric bill of $10/month or $120/year must be a good investment. My neighbor’s electric bill during summer goes up to $600 in a month because she said that her husband wants it very cold while my highest bill during summer is $411 in a month. If she spends more on electric bill and she will only be paying $10/month with the solar system, will my bill be less than $10/month comparing her electric bill and my electric bill without solar? In other words, is it still based on the consumption?

As for the post of mike_home, I will start looking for authorized dealers of Carrier to see the small crack on the heat exchanger as well as get an estimate for a new system if I need one. I had read some post regarding which brand to choose. Hence, I think I’ll start with Carrier. Does the brand don’t matter which State you live. As you know I live in the sun city Las Vegas wherein the temperature could go up to 118 degrees during summer. Last year, I was told by the heating, cooling & plumbing company that maintains our system that if you live in Nevada you need some special brand that could hold up the outside temperature. The company had recommended Goodman last summer when I was told that either we fix that part (don’t remember the name) that holds the Freon from leaking. Another HVAC and plumbing person told me that the freon does not leak that much but instead sold us 2 units of fan motor for the 2 a/c and change the capacitors for $1,300. You see if you know nothing about a/c or furnace, this heating, cooling and plumbing people will rip you off. Am I right?

As the post of energy_rater_regarding the $10/month with solar system installed, I met a person year ago while I was in line inside the supermarket who was chatting with me while waiting in line who told me that he had solar panels installed which cost $100k. He got rebate from Nevada $40K and his electric bill is $10/month. Looks like that there is some truth to the $10/month; but I I think $60K net is too much.

Next time if the heating and cooling company tells me that my system needs something that I have to spend, I have to go to this forum to get advise before I spend on heating and cooling.

Thank you all for the advise/comments. I appreciate it.