Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
manillagecko

New House, New HVAC, Zoned? Two Systems?

Manillagecko
9 years ago

Building a new house and need some advice on how to know what the best HVAC system would be to have installed. Been pitched by many different systems from zoning, to dual systems, to single system ducted properly and all have different opinions and trying to eliminate the sales pitch and find out what is really going to get me what I need and want.

House is two stories with a basement, located in Grand Blanc, MI 48439. Basement is 1620 sq ft, no plans to finish, first floor is 1620 sq ft, 9 ft ceilings, the second floor is 1849 sq ft, 8ft ceilings and 32 windows. R-21 in the walls and R-49 in the ceiling

Would like it to be very efficient, half the contractors are pitching a zone system to keep the upstairs and down stairs heated and cooled evenly, a quarter have pitched two systems one for the main floor and basement and the other for the upstairs, and the last quarter say a single system with the proper sized ducting. At this point I am not sure which will be the best for the money.

Brand wise to me it looks like there are 3-4 brands that are all pretty similar in features and would all perform very similar. I just don't know what the best set up will be, single, dual, or zoned.

Any suggestions please share.

Comments (5)

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

You are looking at hot air furnace with AC system?

Nat gas will be fuel choice for heating?

You will get better overall comfort with two separate systems plus have a degree of redundancy if one system has a mechanical failure.

But certainly your home would be a good candidate for zoning using one system. The key here is finding a competent dealer who has demonstrated experience in zoning both in equipment, proper sizing, and ductwork design. If going this route, I would want a total integrated system and controls like Carrier Infinity or Bryant Evolution. I suggest getting references and visiting similar installs to discuss with homeowners.

IMO

• Manillagecko
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes Natural Gas Furnace for Heating along with the AC condenser.

I have read up a lot on zoning, it seems to me like there are not a lot of installers in the industry that really know how to set them up properly. There also is a lot of negative information on zoning as it relates to the troubles a by-pass can cause to your systems efficiency.

That is why I was leaning towards the two unit system, however need to figure out the proper size for each level. I know the best thing to run is a Manual J on the place however as a starting point what is the general rule based on square footage in determining the tonnage and BTU for a heating and cooling system? That along with how does the rising of hot air and the dropping of cool air determine the size you would go with? Any help would be appreciated.

• mike_home
    9 years ago

I agree for a house of your size two HVAC systems is the best way to get consistent temperatures on both floors. I also believe two smaller systems operate more efficiently and have a longer life than one large zoned system. If it were my house I would install both furnaces in the basement and add a chase to bring the duct work up to the second floor.

For a new build you must do a Manual J calculation. The rules of thumb don't work with the insulation values you are using. The calculation takes into account if the floor above or below is conditioned space or not. The software to do your own calculation is available on line for $50.

• Manillagecko
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Do you have link to the software?

~Gary

• mike_home
    9 years ago

Here is the link. I have never used it but posters have reported good results.

Here is a link that might be useful: HVAC Calc