Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Attic fan replacement

Posted by jwalker678 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 10, 11 at 0:01

Have a whole house fan that is 15 yrs old. Installed in hallway ceiling on 2nd floor of 3,000 sf house. I have been told I have big leakage through the fan grll and should either replace fan with one that provides good seal or ditch the fan and just seal the grill space. I am in the Midwest and maybe use the fan 20 days before have to use ac.I am guessing the cost differential between new fan or fill-in is $500 range. Is there much savings over ac usingthe fan?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Attic fan replacement

Can you solve your problem by seasonally sealing/insulating the existing unit?

"Is there much savings over ac usingthe fan?"

Offhand, I'd say yes, if the fan produces an acceptable comfort level.

o

Hadn'tthought about that but possible.

o

There are covers designed to sit on the attic fan when not in use that are built out of foam that can be laid over the fan when not in use. I built a fan cover for a neighbor and it wasn't bad. I put a 6" wide strip of plywood around the unit and sealed any gaps to start. I then built a cover out of plywood and 2" foam and added some guides so it would slide into place. I ran a small cable from the box to a pulley on the roof over to the attic hatch so it can be raised and lowered.

I would after learning about the prebuilt covers adapt one of these with a thin plywood stiffener for the cable. go that route. On cooler days or evenings the attic fan really feels nice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here