Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
weird heat pump noise

Posted by andrelaplume2 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 31, 11 at 23:44

hey guys...I got a year old Trane 14xl...if I recall correctly. I have heard it make the SSSSSSSHHHHHHhhhhhhhh noise now and then this winter...the one that seams to come from outside the house... but tonight and maybe a few times over the last few days I have heard it make a more violent noise with more of a rubbing noise....maybe like turning a rusty spicket off. I've heard it 3 times tonight. The temp outside is 36 degrees, humidity is 86% and its rainy. The weather has been of the type where it feels a little warmer than the degrees would have you believe.

Is this noise normal. Should I have the installers out to check it out? What could it be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: weird heat pump noise

well, the sssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhh noise is when it exits defrost mode and goes back to regular heating cycle.
Sometimes it can be louder than others when coming out of a long defrost.

If it doesn't always do that I wouldn't worry about that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here