Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Running vents outside in cold climate...

Posted by alan_s_thefirst (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 23:40

My new (to me) house was built without bathroom vents (yuck) and the dryer vent currently exhausts right under a deck.

This means I'm going to have to run a bathroom vent and a dryer vent under the deck out to clear space.

I'm in British Columbia, so the rules may vary somewhat, but I know the vents have to be insulated when they enter the cold space outside.

I can get the black sock- insulation and black plastic sleeve stuff, but I'm sure it's not outdoor rated, and the deck is not waterproof, so rain and melting snow will drip on it. Galvanised could eventually rust, which is my other concern.

I had considered perhaps wrapping the pipe in suitable insulation, (I assume rockwool for the drier vent) and sleeving it with a larger diameter pipe - probably UPVC sewer pipe. It would be an air and moisture barrier.

The only other alternative I can think of is double walled external fireplace piping, but being stainless I suspect it's incredibly expensive.

Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Running vents outside in cold climate...

Double wall pvc with foam in cavity.

o

The PVC sleeve will work for the dryer vent, but I do not think the sewer system vent will work. It may work, but you will be putting the very sweet sewer odors right at the deck level. When the wind blows just right, you will not be very pleased. You might better bite the bullet and do it correctly. open the right wall or go up the inside wall of a closet and run the soil pipe vent to the roof.

o

Jackfre,

I didn't read the OP to say "sewer system vent," but rather a bathroom exhaust fan vent. (Similar problem to dryer exhaust.)

OP???

o

•Posted by Jackfre (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 13:30

"The PVC sleeve will work for the dryer vent, but I do not think the sewer system vent will work. It may work, but you will be putting the very sweet sewer odors right at the deck level. When the wind blows just right, you will not be very pleased. You might better bite the bullet and do it correctly. open the right wall or go up the inside wall of a closet and run the soil pipe vent to the roof."

Come jackfire,give the man some credit,surly you don't believe he considered useing fireplace flue pipe for a sewer vent stack. It's a _art fan and cloths dryer he's wanting to vent.

o

"Come jackfire,give the man some credit,surly you don't believe he considered useing fireplace flue pipe for a sewer vent stack. It's a _art fan and cloths dryer he's wanting to vent."

Come klem1, read the post immediately following jackfire's.

lol

o

Sorry - hadn't had a chance to login for a while.

Yes, it's a bathroom fan and dryer vent. I realise even a bathroom fan may output some nasty smells - but it'll be pointed mostly at the neighbours (LOL), but not directly where they'll be spending any time (it's next to their carport.)

I would prefer to route it straight away from the house, towards my own backyard, but it's right where I shovel the snow off my deck so those vents would be buried in snow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here