Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
austinmark3

input on hvac system replacement in central tx

austinmark3
12 years ago

We are in central texas (outside Austin) where the summers are long and hot. We have a 2450 sq ft single-story home.

The home, and HVAC systems, are 14 years old. We have two systems - one serving the bedrooms (smaller unit) and one serving the other living areas (larger unit).

I believe one is 3.5 ton (Corsaire FAFF-043JAZ) and the other 2 ton (Corsaire FAFF-025JAZ). I got these model numbers off the outside units.

The larger unit has a leak in the evaporator coil. I obtained a quote from a local HVAC outfit last year:

Install a 3.5 ton 16 SEER/13 EER (410A) American Standard central A/C heat system with an American Standard High Efficiency Gas Furnace, included with the installation is a programmable thermostat, secondary drain pan, drain line safety switch, condenser slab. Manufacturer warranty: 10 years compressor, 10 year parts and 1 year labor.

Outdoor model #4a7a5042e1000a

Furnace model #aud1co80a9h41b

Indoor coil model #4txcd050bc3hca

Purchase Price: $5200.00

Less American Standard instant rebate -$500.00

Cost of system $4700.00 plus tax

OPTIONS

10 yr American Standard extended warranty $575 plus tax

Field controls in duct UV Aire- 18 UV light (Kills mold, Bacteria, Influenza and viruses in the indoor coil.

Cost $350 plus tax

High Efficiency 4 inch filter and filter base.

Cost $325 plus tax

I think we'll be in this home for at least 5-10 more years. I'd like something which is both high quality and efficient to operate.

QUESTIONS

Above is 1st quote. I'd like to get more quotes. Any recommendations what I should ask for?

How competitive is the above quote?

Of the 3 options (in-duct UV light, extended warranty, 4" filter & base), which would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for any and all input!

Mark

Comment (1)