Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skyangel23_gw

HVAC air diffusers locations 2.0

Skyangel23
10 years ago

I am still needing a bit of advice on our family room. The HVAC people replaced the one large diffuser in the center of the 18 x 22 family with two smaller ones when we had concerns about the original placement. However, the two diffusers are much closer still to the center of the room and still will be right right above where the furniture placement will be in that room--which does not really solve the comfort issue of not having air blowing directly on whomever is in that room. The left one is 4 ft.*ish) out from the perimeter wall, and the right one is 7-8ish from the right perimeter wall, it looks like.

I am still concerned about this family room. Should I request another change, moving each of the two air diffusers even further back towards each perimeter wall? Should there be a third one anywhere, or is the two enough?

Thank you so much for any help or advice.

Comments (9)

• Skyangel23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry for the blurry photo, but this shows better the distance from each perimeter wall.

• mike_home
    10 years ago

The position of the register on the left seems OK but not ideal. It should moved back towards the window so it is about two feed in front of the back wall. Register should be near windows so any hot or cold air coming leaking through the window will mix the with conditioned air. You also should figure out where you are going be sitting in the room in order to avoid a draft.

The one on the right should be moved to the opposite corner of the room. There is no excuse for putting two register so close together. The HVAC contractor don't seem to care where he places these registers.

It is hard to tell if two registers are adequate for an 18 X 22 room with your climate and construction. The HVAC contractor should have done a calculation for air flow. I would play it safe and have a third register added.

• Skyangel23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Mike,
    Thank you so much for responding. We passed this on to our builder. We are in mid-Florida, the construction is concrete block. R38 insulation in the attic and closed cell spray foam in the walls, as well as air sealing as much as possible. HVAC system is a 15 SEER Lennox 4 ton for 2700 sf.
    Thank you.

• mike_home
    10 years ago

How many inches of blown insulation will be installed in the attic? Depending on the material used it will take 12-15 inches of material to reach a level of R38. I would like to see the ducts covered by the insulation where ever possible. The HVAC contractor should run the flexible duct work as close to the attic floor as possible.

I am not familiar with concrete block wall construction for homes. Do you know how many inches of closed foam insulation will be applied to the exterior walls? I would think it would be 2.5 to 3 inches but I don't understand how that is accomplished with block wall. This would be a question for the builder.

• Skyangel23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mike_home,
    12 inches of blown insulation. The builder doesn't recommend increasing the attic insulation amount, but we are willing too if it is cost effective and will additionally cover more of the ducts. They do have the shiny insulation on the outside that I think is R6 according to our code in Florida.

For the walls, there will be the rigid foam panels on the inside of the exterior walls, and in addition they will spray the closed cell foam. The masonry blocks are hollow--so the spray foam is sprayed inside the hollow blocks, filling them completely. This is my understanding, anyway. I imagine 2-3 inches might be about right, but I don't know for sure. I can ask.

We are on a pretty tight budget but also want to do what we can to have a relatively efficient, comfortable home.

Thank you for your help!

• energy_rater_la
    10 years ago

much easier if you keep all info in one thread. otherwise
    harder to follow.
    I posted my reply in original thread.

best of luck.

• Skyangel23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry, energy_rater,
    I needed to email the builder ASAP which is why I made a second post. I won't do it again. :-)
    Thanks.

• energy_rater_la
    10 years ago

aww...now I feel like I was harsh.
    but it is easier to keep it all under one thread.

• Skyangel23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No, it's okay. I understand your point. :-)