Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anastazya

desert dwelling and Trane estimate

anastazya
10 years ago

It won't be long now here in the desert before the ac goes on and doesn't shut off until october. My 1964 house is 2100-2300 sq ft and on one level. Most of the windows face east and get morning sun. I have outdoor drapes on the eaves blocking the sun on half the west side. I'm a big believer in stopping the sun before it hits the house.

I have to replace the aging and aged ac and furnace. What follows is the Trane estimate. Any comments on the pricing and combination of models and/or models themselves is appreciated.

Furnace: tud2c100a9v5vb this is the XV80 series
Coil: 4txcd063bc3hcb
Air Handler: ECM
Outdoor Unit: 4ttb4061e1000c

5 ton XB16 with evacuate and rehydrate
$7542

thanks in advance for your consideration and time

Comments (10)

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

I always cringe when I see posts like this.

Here's why.

Has a load calculation been performed? How is your insulation qualities for your home?

I strongly suspect you are being oversized on your furnace to get the 5 ton blower rating necessary to match up to a 5 ton condenser.

I would recommend a 2 stage AC condenser.

Was a two stage thermostat quoted for best operation of the XV80 furnace?

Filter box, new lineset included?

IMO

• anastazya
    Original Author
    10 years ago

tigerdunes, you must get so tired of answering the same type of questions! you are so nice to take the time.

I am having them do a complete redo of the ductwork in the attic. It is currently a conglomeration of three separate redo's and completely falling apart. Following the ductwork they are pulling out the old batting and replacing with all new to bring it up to r-38.

They would do Platform Return sealing inside at the furnace and seal mechanical closet. The filter box would be included and I will specify a 3-5" filter box. New gas connections and new electrical components fuse, conduit and disconnect. Also new programmable, digital thermostat (which not sure on specifics on that).Evacuate and rehydrate refrigerant lines.

not sure if one of those is the lineset?

Mr. Trane said he felt with the desert environment that a two stage ac condenser would not be that much more beneficial. Given our lack of humidity do you think I should go that route?

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

You should insist on a detailed professionally performed load calculation.

Where will furnace be located?

I would recommend Trane's Perfect Fit Media filter cabinet for the XV furnace.

Sounds as if dealer plans to reuse existing lineset.

With this project, you want to get sizing of equipment correct. I assume humidity is not a concern for your location/climate.

And I can not emphasize enough about the correct two stage thermostat for that furnace. Yes, a big deal.

IMO

• harlemhvacguy
    10 years ago

4ttb4061e1000c

That condenser is indeed a 2 stage unit . only one in that series. so I don't know who mr trane is but he is not paying attention. hope he is not making it only function as a single stage. if that is the case use 4ttb6060 and save a couple hundred bucks as it has single stage compressor same capacity.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Harlem

If you are referring to me as Mr Trane, then yes, my bad.

TD

• harlemhvacguy
    10 years ago

no not you tigerdunes.....

"Mr. Trane said he felt with the desert environment that a two stage ac condenser would not be that much more beneficial. Given our lack of humidity do you think I should go that route? "

OP is refering to somebody as Mr Trane. not sure who that is....

• anastazya
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You two are funny...Mr. Trane is just how I was referring to the Trane guy who came out to give the estimate.

I will insist on the load calculation. I believe it is written in the estimate that they would perform one. Why would they give estimates prior to that when the results may indicate a completely different setup?

The furnace is located in a hall closet inside the house.

Should I be insisting on a new lineset?

Is a two stage thermostat the same thing as a two stage condenser...also referred to in the estimate as the Outdoor Unit ?

• anastazya
    Original Author
    10 years ago

harlemhvacguy:

good catch on that model number! I will certainly find out if he has his models paired correctly.

• harlemhvacguy
    10 years ago

I had the feeling mr Trane was the contractor you are dealing with..... why say you don't need 2 stage condenser but quote one. Thats what I was referring to in my prior post. don't have good feeling about this contractor so far.....
    why quote before giving estimate you ask..... Great question. Need thermostat model number included.

• weedmeister
    10 years ago

the thermastat and the condenser are two separate items.

It is possible that he gave you and estimate based on the size of your current system. A load analysis may or may not change this size but you won't know until it is done, so the estimate is just that.

In your case, two stage would not be for humidity removal but for those 'shoulder' days when it is not that hot.