Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newenglandsara2

Seeking "reasonably priced" alternatives to metal baseboard

newenglandsara2
10 years ago

Hi there,

We are buying a 1941 home in the Boston area, and we are planning to renovate the house (plus add about 500 square feet of space.) The house currently has old fashioned radiators that are recessed into the walls. We really like the way these look, but they are causing a ton of energy loss since they are built into exterior walls. We would like to avoid using the basic metal baseboard heaters, but we don't want to break the bank. Any tips on decent quality alternatives (either radiators or other types of baseboard?) Does anyone have experience with steel radiators or other options?

We have also wondered about insulating behind the existing radiators, but we are worried that they will still cause too much energy loss by being built into the walls.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Sara

Comments (8)

• fsq4cw
    10 years ago

Your heat loss may be caused more by the prevailing standards of the day in 1941 rather than the old-fashioned radiator installation itself. I would suggest keeping these radiators, tightening up the envelope and installing the most efficient boiler possible, preferably gas, if thatâÂÂs available in your neighborhood.

SR

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Agree with above post...go to high eff nat gas boiler if gas is available for your area...if you want AC, install 15+ SEER HP for heat in shoulder mths pls AC in summer months.

IMO

• DreamingoftheUP
    10 years ago

Agree with the above. You are buying a gem. Cast iron radiators are very expensive. I would look for savings elsewhere. I'd encourage you to maintain the look in your added 500 sq. ft. (using modern, efficient construction). Cast iron radiators of all types are still available new and you might be able to find an exact match by checking out used ones at a building salvage place. In fact, you have a salvage business nearby that deals specifically with old radiators.

Here is a link that might be useful: Antique Plumbing & Radiators

This post was edited by DreamingoftheUP on Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 7:11

• mike_home
    10 years ago

Is this a framed or brick house? How thick is the exterior wall? How many radiators are installed in exterior walls? Is this a two pipe system? Is it steam or hot water?

In the 1940's energy was cheap and few people were worried about heat loss. You have a valid concern. I would investigate about insulating behind the radiator. There may be enough space in install rigid insulation, but I am not sure if it can sustain the heat of the radiator. At the very least you should be able to install sheet metal behind the radiator. This will help reflect some of the lost heat back into the room.

Another approach could be pulling the radiator into the room so you have enough clearance to properly insulate. You could buy a nicer looking radiator since it will be more visible. Below is a web site of a manufacturer which makes all types of steam and hot water radiators.

Here is a link that might be useful: Runtal Radiators

• newenglandsara2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for the input! I would love to make it work with these radiators, but we are worried that we are getting a 30-40% heat loss with the way they are recessed into the walls. Mike_Home, to answer your question...The house is stone on the front and wood shingles on the other three sides. There are lots of radiators installed on exterior walls; that is mostly where I see them.

I like the idea of buying--where needed--new radiators (vs. baseboard), but I am very concerned about the cost. I welcome any suggestions about good radiators that are more reasonably priced. Or is cast iron baseboard something to consider? I know it is supposed to be 3-4X the price of regular baseboard, but does it still cost less than new radiators? And has anyone tried aluminum radiators?

Thanks again!

Sara

• mike_home
    10 years ago

Call Antique Plumbing Radiators. Get some prices on a basic radiator in the size you may need. You are in driving distance so you should save on shipping costs.

You need to be careful about mixing different types of radiators on the same system. They will have different heating characteristics which will make it difficult to heat the house uniformly.

• jackfre
    10 years ago

You could go to "Panel radiators". Buderus and Runtal make them as do other manuf. They are pricey. They are excellent and run at a lower temp than CI radiators. I would suggest getting a thermal image of the house to see where your greatest loss is. National Grid has all kinds of programs for upgrades.

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

Just curious. Where/why did your "30-40% heat loss" figure come from?

I would be very surprised if it was correct.