Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
t-stat wiring to a/c condensor

Posted by Patptown (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 6, 12 at 22:06

What two wires operate the contactor in the condensing unit?????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: t-stat wiring to a/c condensor

The two big ones and the two little ones.

o

I really wasnt looking for ignorance, just help. I get it your a "Pro" so you want to make yourself what? Feel good. Look good? If you cant help dont bother responding. And no the big ones dont operate the contactor the two "little ones" do. i just wanted to know if it was the yellow and blue or yellow and red. Assuming that all wires are are following code and blue is 24v common.

o

"i just wanted to know if it was the yellow and blue or yellow and red."

Then why didn't you ask that?

o

It is probably yellow and blue, but I do not think there is a universal color code for contactor wiring. The best way to verify this is to look at the wires connected to the contactor.

o

The small wires that go to the contactor can be any color. And it desn't matter what wire goes to either side of the contactor. Most of the time you can determine the colors that are being used by opening up the indoor unit and just looking to see what two wires they picked, you can follow the thermostat wire from the outdoor unit. It is usually taped to the copper line set. Some installers will connect all the wires and this can be confusing.
Most of the time it is the the yellow coming directly from the the thermostat and the blue (common) going to the transformer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here