Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Home Is It Just Me Or Is This Really High

Posted by joallen001 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 22:00

Fixing to start digging footers in about two weeks for my first home. I have a few rental property's that I have built over the years and the HVAC was a lot cheaper than the quote I received for my home.

Of coarse my home has more square footage (2770 sq.ft.) and it will be on a crawl space. But I am planning to do a sealed crawlspace to cut down on utilities. The sealed crawlspace is not done by the HVAC installer so it is not included in this price.

So the quote was for a Rheem 3 ton variable speed, two stage system, 16 seer. The home is all single level and all ducts will be in crawl space. The quote was for $15,000. Maybe it is just me but that just seems extremely high? I just want to make sure I am not getting price gouged on this. I can also post a floor plan layout if needed. All open floor plan with 3 bedrooms.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Home Is It Just Me Or Is This Really High

Does the quote show the model numbers of the equipment? Do you have the breakout of the charges of the duct work and electrical wiring?

You can do a search on the forum to see what others have paid for similar Rheem equipment. But the prices are typically for equipment replacement. It is difficult to judge whether the prices for the additional work are fair or not.

o

I do not have the model numbers but I think I could get them. Also I think the electrician has to wire in the unit and I know the plumber has to run the gas and tie it to the unit.

I will definitely do a search on the Rheem. Thank you

o

That wouldn't be high in my area...

o

Where are you located? It would be high in my area (VA/NC). While the HVAC guy will be running electrical and putting in ductwork, he's doing while the house is being built so it's a lot easier than a retrofit with new equipment and ductwork. Is the builder handling this for you or are you subbing out the HVAC yourself? Either way, someone is making good money off this deal!

o

I am located in AL. I am the builder so I will be subbing it out. The installer is crunching numbers to see if we can make changes to save some money.

o

Well, yes, I'm sure the installer can get the price down by substituting cheaper equipment! Get more bids, I don't think you should be paying anything near that price in Alabama.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here