Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Low Air Flow from vents

Posted by apewrangler (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 1, 12 at 21:52

My house is only a year and half old. I have two separate heat pump units, including a 3 ton unit that runs the master suite and most of the daily living area and a 2 ton unit that runs the spare bedroom area. Back last summer, I put a programmable stat on the 3 ton unit to save some energy. It performed very well here in the deep south with sweltering summers. Winter rolled around, and it took me a while to get the stat set up properly for heat, but eventually got it working. We have had a very mild winter, and haven't really needed the heat too much, but I noticed it seemed it had to be on a lot to keep up. The last couple days, it's been warm enough to fire up the AC. It ran all night and really didn't cool at all. I did some investigating today, and I noticed that the air feel cool, but the volume is maybe 25% of what it's been previously. I even hooked up the original stat, but got the same result. I'm really confused and frustrated. Everything seems to be running like it should, but the air flow isn't there. I also change the filters regular. Meanwhile, the other unit is cooling like a charm. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Low Air Flow from vents

Try removing the filter and see if that increases the air flow. If it does then you are using a filter which is too restrictive.

Do you have any flexible duct work? Check to see if any ducts have collapsed or have become disconnected.

Is this a two-stage heat pump? If yes then if may only be operating in the first stage. You may have not reconnected the thermostat wiring correctly when you made the switch. You may also have a thermostat which does work with two stage equipment.

o
RE: Low Air Flow from vents

apewrangler,

a basic question. Is your HP when cooling maintaining the set temperature?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here