Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
are MEP engineers necessary?

Posted by daviddj (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 2, 13 at 21:23

We are building a around a 3000 sf/ft custom home and our architect is insisting on using an outside MEP engineer to design our systems. I'm not even exactly sure what a MEP engineer does. Pretty much everything I've found online mentions MEP for large commercial buildings. She said MEP services will be around $10,000 so we were wondering what our options are if we decide not to go with an MEP?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: are MEP engineers necessary?

You might engage your architect in a frank conversation asking her what she is trying to achieve by hiring these professionals and what the benefits to you will be. It may be prudent if you are installing systems like in-floor radiant throughout the house or incorporating other new, green, energy efficient technologies with advanced controls.

SR

o

Mechanical, Plumbing. Electrical.

Not really that important on a typically sized residential job.

Even designers now how big to make wet walls and how to place them.

Mechanical often devolves into HVAC.

Unless you are planing a VERY large house the trade guys at a decent size company can do fine

o

sounds like architect is passing liability onto
MPE.

o

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. This is not a large home so we thought it was an unnecessary expense. We are looking into whole home radiant heat, wouldn't the manufactures provide support for their systems?

o

"We are looking into whole home radiant heat, wouldn't the manufactures provide support for their systems?"

Possibly at some level, but it sounds like the architect is not familiar and does not want the sole liability.

o

I'd think this is something a licensed HVAC contractor does to spec a job bid? Maybe not where you're located. Where is the house being built?

For $10k, I'd tell your architect you want three bids. Ask her to give you the relevant information and then you get the other two. Also, talk to a couple of well regarded HVAC contractors in the area who do the kind of systems you want, see how they operate in these circumstances.

There's enough monkey business that goes on in the construction world, I'd not dismiss the suggestion but I'd also not accept it immediately either.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here