Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daviddj_gw

are MEP engineers necessary?

daviddj
11 years ago

We are building a around a 3000 sf/ft custom home and our architect is insisting on using an outside MEP engineer to design our systems. I'm not even exactly sure what a MEP engineer does. Pretty much everything I've found online mentions MEP for large commercial buildings. She said MEP services will be around $10,000 so we were wondering what our options are if we decide not to go with an MEP?

Comments (6)

• fsq4cw
    11 years ago

You might engage your architect in a frank conversation asking her what she is trying to achieve by hiring these professionals and what the benefits to you will be. It may be prudent if you are installing systems like in-floor radiant throughout the house or incorporating other new, green, energy efficient technologies with advanced controls.

SR

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

Mechanical, Plumbing. Electrical.

Not really that important on a typically sized residential job.

Even designers now how big to make wet walls and how to place them.

Mechanical often devolves into HVAC.

Unless you are planing a VERY large house the trade guys at a decent size company can do fine

• energy_rater_la
    11 years ago

sounds like architect is passing liability onto
    MPE.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"We are looking into whole home radiant heat, wouldn't the manufactures provide support for their systems?"

Possibly at some level, but it sounds like the architect is not familiar and does not want the sole liability.

• Elmer J Fudd
    11 years ago

I'd think this is something a licensed HVAC contractor does to spec a job bid? Maybe not where you're located. Where is the house being built?

For $10k, I'd tell your architect you want three bids. Ask her to give you the relevant information and then you get the other two. Also, talk to a couple of well regarded HVAC contractors in the area who do the kind of systems you want, see how they operate in these circumstances.

There's enough monkey business that goes on in the construction world, I'd not dismiss the suggestion but I'd also not accept it immediately either.

Sponsored
Home Rescue Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars14 Reviews
Loudoun County's in Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions