Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
inna0410

Baxi Luna - any reviews?

inna0410
17 years ago

We had major problem this morning - the hot water heater died and flooded us with 3" of water in the laundry / garage... Thanks not in the house itself. While searching for replacement, we came across the Baxi Luna combination heater / boiler. Anybdy ever heard of these models? The research online and this forum (s) did not produce much result.

Comments (9)

• bob_brown
    17 years ago

Many companies make boilers. I could make a boiler, for resale. Skills required are regulated by the government.

BL boilers is probably a small company struggling to become recognized as a contender.

• annemariepol
    16 years ago

BL boilers are made by a huge international company that doesn't seem to stand behind the installers.

We had a Baxi boiler installed in 2003 and had othing but problems since then. The installation was supposed to be done by the North American distributor (Marathon), but although the installer past his test, we are still paying for the installation problems.

So far in 2007, we had over $2,000 in repair costs. The boiler may be green, but so is the money we have to keep spending. We are seriously upset and are starting a website or blog to get the warning out to people.

• annkatz
    16 years ago

We also have a baxi luna installed in 2003 that is making a whining noise. The company is totally unresponsive and no one in the SF bay area seems able to work on it effectively. Please add us to your website.

• garyg
    16 years ago

"Baxi Luna" sounds like the name of a perfume or fancy restaurant.

• zl700
    16 years ago

And the pronounciation differences are there too

It is pronounced like "Boxi" but with a slight southern drawl

• wwheeler2003_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

We had a Baxi Luna HT 380 installed 18 mos ago. It has performed flawlessly: quiet, efficient, VERY economical. It was installed by a company that only installs Luna furnaces. All employees are certified by Luna. I can't say enough good things about this product and the company that installed it.

• Bannanti_aol_com
    13 years ago

I had the baxi luna installed in 2008, NOTHING but TROUBLE.
    Every holiday it ceases working I am without heat and hot water the last three days because of this unit. Unlreliable, same as the plumbers who work on it, getting it ripped out and NEVER WANT TO HEAR THAT NAME AGAIN!

• Bannanti_aol_com
    13 years ago

I had the baxi luna installed in 2008, NOTHING but TROUBLE.
    Every holiday it ceases working I am without heat and hot water the last three days because of this unit. Unlreliable, same as the plumbers who work on it, getting it ripped out and NEVER WANT TO HEAR THAT NAME AGAIN!

• FarrukhNajmi
    10 years ago

We have had a Baxi Luna HT380 since Nov 2009 (4 years). The unit was a thing of beauty to look at and performed flawlessly for 2+ years and saved a lot on natural gas bills. Then it developed two problems at about the same time.

First was just a worrisome low frequency hum / noise from the blower fan in upper right corner of unit that sounds like a worn ball bearing. It reminds me of a 18 wheeler truck that is idling.

The second problem is much more serious and annoying. When the temperature falls below 25 degree Fahrenheit or so on those cold mornings I may jump in the shower and discover there is no hot water. When I run two floor down shivering I see error code E133 on the unit. Usually just resetting the unit turns the burner on and there is hot water almost instantly.

I have know idea if any one else is seeing this problem and I do not know who to call as the guys who installed it do not have a clue.

The biggest problem is that we cannot go away and leave the house unattended during winter because the problem will likely happen and cause pipes to freeze.

So, while I do love this unit when it works, I cannot recommend it. I wish I had just bought a standard kind heater instead.

Looking on the net I found the following helpful link:

http://www.howtomendit.com/answers.php?id=305807

It suggests that the condensate drain pipe going outside is frozen and may be fixed by pouring boling water on it. If this is the problem then this is a design flaw making the device unsuitable for cold climates like US North East.

This post was edited by FarrukhNajmi on Thu, Nov 21, 13 at 17:28