Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bry911

Basement Heat

bry911
10 years ago

We are remodeling our basement (again!!) and looking for heating options. The basement is below grade and currently has two vent runs from the central air unit and 1 return to it.

The basement has had water twice both times due to a sewer backup from heavy rains. Once the clean-out in the house and once a drain right outside the basement door. Hoping to get just a little bit of resistance to water we are going with tile this time.

Their is no insulation between floors and the basement stays between 5 - 8 degrees cooler than the rest of the house. I am looking for a solution to just make up the 5 degrees.

The original recommendation I got was for a hydronic radiant system. I ran away from that pretty fast. Then we moved to direct vent gas fireplace. I am not a particular fan of gas fireplaces, and the room has a nice projector in it and adding a light source to the room really doesn't help.

Currently I am waffling between electric tile (radiant) heat and just throwing in some baseboard heaters. I am really looking for a reason to choose the tile heat but can't seem to find one.

As I look through the posts here I see things on electric tile heating and the pros and cons, but couldn't find one that really talked about whether or not they are worth the extra expense compared to just throwing in some baseboard heaters.

Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (5)

• jackfre
    10 years ago

I would suggest a Rinnai Energysaver. Probably an EX22 or EX 38. It is a direct vent unit with modulating gas valve and blower. Programmable t-stat is built in. Cool to the touch and QUIET! There are vent extensions available to bet the vent to the outside. I ran one in my basement for 10 yrs. Mine was not a finished basement but many times I would turn it on Fri evening in preparation to spending the weekend in my basement shop. What I found was that like yours I did not have an insulated first floor. The Rinnai would heat the floor and it actually would change the comfort on the first floor due to the basement heat heating the first floor. I have heated my homes with these units since 1991. They are excellent?

• bry911
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am sure that those are great units. And I am fine spending the money if I need to, but that seems a fair bit of expense just to heat 400 square feet 5 degrees.

• mike_home
    10 years ago

How is the rest of the house heated? Your basement must get very cold during the summer with two AC vents cooling a 400 sq. foot area.

It doesn't take many BTUs to keep a basement warm. If you want to keep this simple and low cost then install the electric base board heat. For even less money you can buy two free standing units and put them at opposite corners of the room.

I realize heating with resistance heat is the most expensive operating option, but I assume you are not going to be heating the basement 24/7. A basement has a low heating load so the annual heating costs should be reasonable. It also makes sense to go with the inexpensive option if you have a potential of another flood.

• jackfre
    10 years ago

"I am sure that those are great units. And I am fine spending the money if I need to, but that seems a fair bit of expense just to heat 400 square feet 5 degrees."

They are not cheap by any means, but you get what you pay for. If you were to economically heat the basement, how would that affect the use of the basement. I suspect it would be used more given that it is comfortable. For the 400' I look at an EX11 0r EX17. The 11 has some limitations on vent extensions depending upon how high the vent has to go to exit the building.

• bry911
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The house has forced air gas. I am leaning toward baseboard heaters.

I want to stress that my main concern is not really cost rather economy. I have no trouble dropping 5 or 6 k if I will see use or significant benefit from it. One reason I am drifting away from the direct vent options is that it will be a single heat source in a room that is roughly 20 x 20 with no insulation between floors I am afraid I will just be paying money to heat the middle floor and one side of the basement with a less efficient version of my furnace in the winter and will fight against my AC more so in the summer. This is also why tile and baseboard heat are so attractive. They will be spread out in our close to the floor.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz