Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tempstar AC/Heat blower stays on

Posted by ferraridriver69 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 24, 12 at 19:48

Hello to anyone that may be able to assist. I am an automotive/exotic car shop owner that pretty much is willing to repair anything. I have repaired several of our AC units over the years but am not trained to do so.
My wife recently asked me to install a programable thermostat (hunter)
I have installed the same one on the downstairs unit years ago.
After installing it exactly the same way as the first one with the exact same wires at hand it does not cool. I also noticed that the fan is staying on no matter what even with the thermostat removed. My wife informed me that this had been going on prior to me touching anything but she forgot to tell me. The only way i can shut it down is by pulling the breaker or by pulling the fuse on the circuit board. After powering it back up there is an approx. 15 sec. delay before it kicks back on. I suspect a bad circuit board. I cn hear the relay kick in when it comes back on. My wife thinks the AC worked before switching the thermostat but as it is just now warming up that may be a false statement.
Thank you for any advice.
Karl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tempstar AC/Heat blower stays on

Could be the board, ??
disconnect all the low volt wires at the thermostat and see if the fan still comes on.

If the fan still comes on you can try disconnecting the low volt green wire (most commonly the color used for the fan) at the a/h unit.

Watch out for a shorted motor, but that would not explain the no cool.

Sometimes a problem with the electric heat circuit can make the fan come on.

o
RE: Tempstar AC/Heat blower stays on

I have repaired my car many times but I am not trained to do so. You blew the low voltage fuse, BTW hunter t-stats are just about the worst.
Has it been repaired?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here