Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shok_gw

Amana Air Conditioner/Furnace

shok
15 years ago

Hi All,

We want to get an Air Conditioner installed in our TownHouse before the summer. The house is 1450 SF and we are located in the Santa Clara, CA. I have liked this quote so far:

Amana 6DH80703AX 2-Stage 80% Efficiency.

Install Price: $1571

Amana GSX130361

13-SEER 3 TON RHIDA CHLORINE-FREE

Install Price: $3210.

We already have a furnace in our house which is an old one, ducts etc are in good condition. Does the install price sound reasonable? I was also concerned about the Amana brand - are these good models ?

Thanks for your help!

SK

Comments (13)

• ryanhughes
    15 years ago

Really seems like they're oversizing your A/C, which is just gonna cost you more in the long run.

I wouldn't put those two units in my house. The AMV furnaces from Amana are supposedly nice, with variable speed blowers, and so are the ASX air conditioners, but what you've been quoted is simply relabeled Goodman products, which are low-end and made for low-budget applications (even though they do come with a 10 year warranty). You can do better equipment wise.

Looks like the guy who quoted the units has bad hand writing, since there are some transcription errors.

To be honest, do yourself a favor and get a couple other quotes. What made you like this quote? Dealer professional? The installing contractor is very important in the decision, but to me you have to combine a quality installation with quality products.

• ryanhughes
    15 years ago

I will just say that there are satisfied Goodman customers, but from what I've seen, they are not built nor intended to be like other equipment on the market. 2 of my neighbors have Goodman products in their home, installed by a professional company who also sells Amana and American Standard. One has had a couple electrical components go and the other has had a compressor and a reversing valve go. And neither of the units are very quiet.

• shok
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the quick feedback!
    I liked the quote due to dealer professional/good reviews from previous customers/best price.
    I had 3 different quotes and all the contractors suggested a 3-ton A/C. Is that really big for 2-floor town house with 1450 sq ft.?

This is another quote I got, the guy didn't give exact model #s:
    Install new 3 ton Amana Distinctions 13 Seer A/C
    TOTAL: $3,500.00

Option for 80% Amana Distinctions furnace: add $1450.00 to above price.

Are Amana Distinctions better than the rebranded Goodman ones? As you can see the price is slightly more than the first quote.

• ryanhughes
    15 years ago

What I'm trying to say is that Amana Distinction is Goodman relabeled. You were also quoted this equipment in the other quote. If you want to stick with the Amana brand, I'd get genuine Amana products (begin with an A for the model numbers).

On the sizing, I am in Maryland and can cool around 2600 sqft. including a finished basement of around 700 sqft. with 3.5 tons, to give you some perspective, and we have both extremes as far as weather goes for a good portion of the year. A 4 ton may be better, but I have shade. So in that case, in your area, I would think that's too much capacity (less efficient, more prone to failure with more starting/stopping, less humidity removal, etc.).

The prices sound a bit on the low side comparatively speaking. If you search around, you will most likely find a professional company who will do a load calculation to determine what size A/C you need (ask for a load calc and don't accept rule of thumb sizing for best results in the long run).

Hope this helps. Anymore questions/quotes, post away. I would personally keep looking.

• shok
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Ryan I really appreciate your feedback. I also have another quote which is for Trane XB13. Is that a good one? It's costing me $250 more over the Amana.

I will check on the sizing with some other contractors.

SK

• ryanhughes
    15 years ago

I'd certainly take an XB13 over the Amana Distinctions equipment. The XR13 would be better with the 10-year compressor warranty. XR13/XR14 are good units for mild A/C use and an add-on without variable speed blower in the furnace. The XR14 is a little quieter but won't buy you that much more efficiency on a standard furnace.

Good to see you're looking at other bids. I would ask them on the phone about sizing according to a load calculation to save your time and theirs. Some companies just don't do them and guess, causing more issues down the road. A couple other estimates from reputable companies would do you good in my opinion.

Post back any more options for more feedback. I'm not the only one on these forums with an opinion. :)

• fastacservice
    15 years ago

The Amana and Goodman have a total market share of 22% of all A/C system installed in homes. Check the out the contractor, you can have the best Brand Name Unit. With out a quality installation you will never get the True SEER.

Here is a link that might be useful: Installation Details

• paulbm
    14 years ago

If the home is 1450 sq. feet total, i usually put 2-1/2 ton for that size. around here it does not get over 90 degrees outside temp.. I sell goodman but that
    just my thing . Pick a dealer you think you can trust to install and service.
    All those brands are good. Later paulbm

• ryanhughes
    14 years ago

Paul, what if the home's heat load only calls for a 1.5 ton unit, and you put in a 2.5 ton? Would cause the customer to have less efficiency, less humidity removal, more starting/stopping, etc.. We all know heat load calcs aren't always done, but I think it's important to take multiple aspects into consideration and not just square footage, whether you do a heat load or not.

I condition around 3400 sqft (includes 700 sqft. basement). What size system would you install for me? Bet you wouldn't have guessed a 3.5 ton, which has worked flawlessly as far as conditioning the place goes, even during a heat wave maintaining 72*.

• garyg
    14 years ago

"The Amana and Goodman have a total market share of 22% of all A/C system installed in homes."

- I am one of those 22%. I have a 3-ton 14 SEER Goodman heat pump. 12 EER and 9 HSPF are excellent numbers. Copeland scroll compressor. So far so good.

• Allan_Mullaly80
    11 years ago

Thanks Shok for introducing best bran Amana. I likr this brand because I have it's best air conditioner unit Amana air conditioner at home. It is just fantastic.

• Umpire
    8 years ago

I love the Goodman defenders...they have $&/2@ market share, blah blah...the only reason they have a decent market share is that builders put in the cheapest units they can. I just purchased a house in Bedford Falls in Raleigh, upscale, and every house and townhouse has a very loud Goodman unit. Mine has acted up 3 times in the last 11 months and will be replaced with a Trane/AS/Carrier unit. Stop touting Goodman as a good unit...

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company