Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pepster2

scroll compressor versis recip

pepster2
16 years ago

Have been looking at several Trane heat pumps. On one you can , or so the company says get it in scroll compressor or a Recip compressor. He said the scroll will cost $200 more. I know the scroll is the newest thing. Are they better and is it worth $200 to get it? The unit is a XR13

Comments (19)

• zl700
    16 years ago

If you look at the amp draw between the two which can be converted to current use, the scroll tends to use 1/4 to 1/3 less than a recip compressor, that means less energy use or less money to run.

Scrolls have been around long enough to prove their reliability and performance.

• ryanhughes
    16 years ago

I had no idea you could order the XR13, regardless of size, with whichever compressor you want. Good to know.

• ryanhughes
    16 years ago

Pepster2,

After reading your posts, it appears you are actually getting the XR13 3-ton air conditioner--is this correct? If so, I'm pretty sure it already comes with a scroll compressor. 3- & 5-ton models for air conditioners and the 5-ton model for heat pumps is what I understand. Please clarify what type and size XR13--heat pump or air conditioner. If it's a 3-ton air conditioner, then I think it already has a scroll.

• ryanhughes
    16 years ago

Nevermind, please disregard what I said above. According to Trane, the XR13, regardless of whether it's an air conditioner or heat pump, comes with a scroll compressor as default for 3, 3.5, 4 and 5 ton sizes only.

• ryanhughes
    16 years ago

One more edit! What I said above is only for R-410a models.

• pepster2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I can assume the guy telling my friend that it costs $200 more to get a scroll compressor instead of a recip on a SR13 3 ton heat pump is ripping her off. How long have they had scroll on the 3 tons? Figure if always she could just say put in the recip one. If all they have ever had with the new coolant is scroll he would just be caught in the lie. Does anyone know the number direct to Trane with questions? I emailed them several times but no reply

• pepster2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

just a follow up, he did say it had the new coolant if that changer any info

• ryanhughes
    16 years ago

The 3-ton heat pump and air conditioner using R-410a (the new refrigerant) use a scroll compressor as default. Maybe he is saying the difference between the XB13 and XR13 is $200?

• ryanhughes
    16 years ago

Here are Trane's specifications which will show which units have a scroll compressor:

4TTR3 (Trane R-410a XR13 air conditioner) http://www.trane.com/webcache/un/split%20system%20air%20conditioners%20(ss)/product/22-1790-01_11012006.pdf
    4TWR3: (Trane R-410a XR13 heat pump) http://www.trane.com/webcache/un/split%20system%20air%20conditioners%20(ss)/product/22-1795-01_11012006.pdf

• pepster2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I see you said info was for the one using the r410. Do they still sell the one with r22? could that be the $200 difference in price/ He is a husband of my girlfriends friend. I would hate to think he is ripping his wifes friend off. I also don't want to call him on it and find it was because of the different refrigerant

• pepster2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

He says he will put in 3 ton unit and run 2 new feed lines and one return from room we want to add. He tells us to stay with the regular air handler and not go with the variable speed.. doing it for 3800. Works for large large company not selling systems but is over their hvac department. Licensed and all. Does this on the side

• ryanhughes
    16 years ago

The R-22 models are still available. He could also mean that. Looks like what your friend is getting has a scroll. And if it doesn't (though it does appear to), its not the end of the world. Sounds like what he's doing is good--changing refrigerant lines, adding another return, etc. I do seriously wonder why he said don't get the variable speed air handler...

Do you live in Maryland by chance? I don't understand what you mean by "works for a large company not selling systems but is over their HVAC equipment." I thought of a Maryland company after reading that but not sure if this is the case.

• mikenew
    16 years ago

Scroll reliability a plus noise a minus so make sure it is not under your bedroom window or get the upgraded model with noise isolation

Here is a link that might be useful: Air Conditioning and Heating Repair Made Easy

• pepster2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

No in N florida. He works for a large company that is not a air condition sales company. He is over the the air condition department meaning his guys keep the running. He does this work on the side. His thought was with the added cost of buying the variable speed air handler and after the 5 year warranty runs out cost to repair it would never make up price in savings. Had one company wanted to put in xl15i 3 ton with variable speed air handler. 10year warranty /labor. HE wants 5800. 100 off and 4oo rebate so down to 5300 when she gets rebate back. I prefer to go this route but she is looking at the upfront money

• ryanhughes
    16 years ago

I thought scroll compressors were supposed to be quieter than reciprocating compressors--go figure. Are you sure about this? Do you have any data to support this? Carrier shows their Infinity 19 heat pump (scroll) as slightly quieter than their Infinity 16 heat pump (reciprocating). Although I guess you can't just compare units since there CAN be differences.

Look at the Trane XR13 R-410a heat pump. Trane shows that 1.5-2.5 ton sizes have sound enclosures as default for the reciprocating compressors, but none for the 3-5 ton sizes, which have scroll compressors.

• ryanhughes
    16 years ago

The XL15i would be a much better choice in my opinion. Are they doing new lines and a new return? You get what you pay for... Plus, it's a company, not just a single person doing it on the side. A variable speed blower has many benefits. I would not let the "repair cost" scare you away from it. They really don't necessarily have a high failure rate. Plus, no worrying about the scroll compressor issue. :)

• pepster2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

i agree with you ray. I just given her the info and my thoughts. The old saying you can lead a horse. I remember he had said before the compressor had a 10 year warranty. So it was the xr13 he was talking about. Just hope the price difference was he might have been looking at the old refrigerant and when we said scroll priced the r410. That whole thing puts a bad taste to me. Hate to question what someone is doing. To me the 1500 would be well spent but I just let her do what she wants. He is running two new lines to the one new room also and a return

• zl700
    16 years ago

I agree with Ryan

Scroll compressors tend to be quieter, thus no blankets added. They can sometimes have a high pitched whine heard by and bothersome to some people however after breaking in it tends to lessen or go away.

• ryanhughes
    16 years ago

I would encourage her to consider a variable speed blower for more even temperature and humidity control, especially in Florida. I strongly recommend the variable speed blower for Florida humidity. You get Trane's Comfort-R (if the guy enables it). I understand your position in this whole ordeal, though.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022