Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stevenc131

Finally decided on a Trane system

stevenc131
15 years ago

I finally think I've decided on a system. I decided to get one more estimate today, on the spur of the moment as it were. I got off work early and the salesman met me at my house. The estimate was the fifth I've gotten, and it ended up being the best deal out of the five. This is for a 2 ton split system (not a heatpump):

Trane XL16i - 4TTX6024

Trane XV95 Furnace - TUH2B060A9V3VA

Trane Coil - 4TXCB025

Price after factory rebates and dealer discounts is $6858. The furnace qualifies for the 30% Fed. Tax Credit, and with that taken into consideration, the deal was too good to pass up.

I was looking at the XL15i initially, which is actually a bit more efficient than the XL16i in most configurations. However, the 16i is a pretty sophisticated two stage unit, and at the price quoted was too good of a deal to pass up.

Comments (5)

• ryanhughes
    15 years ago

Fine system. I suggest, with that setup since you can't use dehumidify on demand to slow the blower down, Trane's TCONT802A or TCONT803A.

Trane does have communicating models of those products for a few more features, but probably not worth the upgrade cost. It's possible the dealer is getting good pricing on the older stock 4TTX6024B1 units.

I still would myself probably go with the XL15i and VisionPRO IAQ thermostat, but after all's said and done, both systems are fine (would be a different story if that were the XL16i heat pump).

• tigerdunes
    15 years ago

steven

I think the XL16i whether straight AC or HP is a mistake. The XL15i is a much better choice and you should insist on the HW VP IAQ stat.

a couple of questions.

what is the area of country you live?
    what is your electric rate?
    what size conditioned space?

Trane is falling behind in performance/eff numbers on their condensers. This is very evident from the tax credit qualifying standards. One bright spot is the XL15i(or AmStd comparable mdl). Here are the AHRI matching numbers that really speak for themselves.

1419317 Active Systems XL15I TRANE 4TTX5024A1 4TXCB032BC3 *UH2B060A9V3 25800 13.10 15.75 1
    (note the coil mdl change)

3187157 Active Systems XL16I TRANE 4TTX6024C1 4TXCB025BC3 *UH2B060A9V3 23600 11.80 15.75 1

IMO

• tigerdunes
    15 years ago

steven

I think the XL16i whether straight AC or HP is a mistake. The XL15i is a much better choice and you should insist on the HW VP IAQ stat.

a couple of questions.

what is the area of country you live?
    what is your electric rate?
    what size conditioned space?

Trane is falling behind in performance/eff numbers on their condensers. This is very evident from the tax credit qualifying standards. One bright spot is the XL15i(or AmStd comparable mdl). Here are the AHRI matching numbers that really speak for themselves.

1419317 Active Systems XL15I TRANE 4TTX5024A1 4TXCB032BC3 *UH2B060A9V3 25800 13.10 15.75 1
    (note the coil mdl change)

3187157 Active Systems XL16I TRANE 4TTX6024C1 4TXCB025BC3 *UH2B060A9V3 23600 11.80 15.75 1

IMO

• stevenc131
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm actually still thinking about it. Basically the salesman on this deal said they were offering the XV95 for the same price as the XV80, but only with the XL16i, not the XL15i. I tended to believe him since I had received an estimate on the XL16i/XV80 combo from another company that was within $50 of the XL16i/XV95 that I'm talking about here.

I have asked about the XL15i, but I was told that I'd get a better deal with the XL15i when combined with the XV95. I'm going to revisit this and ask for specifics.

The only thing I can see that the XL16i has going for it over the XL15i is the fact it's a two stage unit.

I live in Atlanta GA btw.

A heat pump would be tough sell to the wife. She doesn't like them, and put her foot down (right on me) when I tried to get one for the upstairs. Also, while electrical rates are reasonable now, if all the cap and trade legislation comes to be, I think electric rates may be hit harder than natural gas, just my opinion.

• tigerdunes
    15 years ago

steven

what size living area do you have?

an 80% VS furnace with high eff XL15i HP will give you better overall operating cost than a 95% VS furnace with straight AC. no doubt about it.

with the XL15i, you get more cooling BTUs, significantly improved EER, and "dehumidify on demand" with the HW VP IAQ. no comparison vs the XL16i.

your dealer/Trane is playing games with you because of their problem meeting tax credit qualifying standards with their condensers. The XL16i is a problematic condenser, does not have "dehumidify on demand" capability and has relatively poor performance/eff numbers for what Trane says is a premium unit.

and the South/Southeast will continue to have relatively cheap electric rates because of their nuclear footprint.

IMO