Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cparmenter_gw

inner coil failure

cparmenter
16 years ago

We moved into our house in 2007. 10 months later, the air conditioner failed to cool.The inner coil had to be replaced. Since then, the coil has been replaced 5 more times. The company that installed the unit can not figure out why this is happening. We live in a tract home (all built with the same materials), have no animals, don't smoke and don't brew drugs. The house is clean and we change the filters. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing these coils to fail? Please help!

Comments (10)

• zl700
    16 years ago

You failed to mention what failed on the coil/cooling system-

Holes?
    Fins?
    Leaks?
    Obstructions?
    Drain pan?
    ????????

• cparmenter
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Every one of them failed in the same way. We were told they "sprung a leak" and the freon slowly leaked out. Thanks

• krantzcool
    16 years ago

are they sure it is the indoor coil leaking? did they show you the leak? one indoor coil maybe two but five if they do not show you the leak they may be guessing and there ma be a leak somewhere else. what brand unit is it? 5 coils in one year that shows a leak up that fast. it sounds to me like it may be a leak on the high pressure side. it is a big leak to show up that many times in less than a year

• mikenew
    16 years ago

You are living a service nightmare and for the rest of the individuals in my industry I apologize I have a hard time believing that 5 coils would leak, in 10 years yes but not in a short time frame I wish I could come there and fix this for you just to show you that everyone is not like what you are experiencing as a matter of fact if you are in the southeast I will

Here is a link that might be useful: Air Conditioning and Heating Repair Made Easy

• garyg
    16 years ago

Are there any cleaning solvents stored in the area where the air handler is located?

• garyg
    16 years ago

The link below discusses the corrsion of indoor coils.

Here is a link that might be useful: Formicary Corrosion

• cparmenter
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for the article. Although it was not what I wanted to hear. We have no solvents near the air handler, but we do have a wood floor. If that is the problem, I'm not sure what to do about it. I can't imagine having to replace it.

• krantzcool
    16 years ago

did they show you the leak in the inddor coil. i dont believe that five coils went bad in less than a year. you are not the only person in the world with hardwood floors. think about it. i dont think they found your leak. i think there is a leak somewhere else. and they are just guessing it is in the indoor coil. i think you need to find a new company that can fix your unit.

• ryanhughes
    16 years ago

Did they match it to the outdoor unit? What brand is the equipment? Sounds like they aren't giving it a very good diagnosis--they need to find out WHY the coil starts to leak.

• cparmenter
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This is very frustrating. They did show us the bad coils. Every time (always the same part). They replace it and in a year or so, have to replace it again. We can see that it is the same part, so the leak must be in the coils or the unit wouldn't cool for a year or so with the new coil in. It is a Goodman 13 seer, 4 ton unit, in a 1700ft, one story house. The neighborhood is tract housing and all are about 8 years old, only 4 floor plans and no one else is having this problem. The same company installed them all. HELP!